The original gymnasium was constructed by putting two barns together in 1895. The school later constructed Hester Gymnasium in 1948 using college labor - a facility that was deemed "inadequate because of growing enrollment" by George Fox's Life newspaper in the spring of 1975. The Wheeler Sports Center was completed two years later, in 1977.
The Wheeler Sports Center contains three full-sized basketball courts (Miller Gymnasium), two racquetball courts, classrooms, athletics and health and human performance department offices, a weight room, training rooms, and locker rooms. The university also beefed up its athletic facilities with the opening of the Austin Sports Complex (2010) and the construction of Stoffer Family Stadium/Duke Athletic Center (2014).