Minthorn Hall, the only first-generation building left on campus, was built in 1887 as a Friends Pacific Academy dormitory and gymnasium and was in use when future U.S. President Herbert Hoover attended. When the campus moved across town to the present site in 1892, Minthorn Hall was rolled on logs behind horses. It is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
In 1887 the 40-by-60 foot, two-story structure was constructed. Now called Minthorn Hall, it was formerly Kanyon Hall and served as a women's dormitory.
The writing/literature, languages, and communication arts offices are currently housed in Minthorn Hall. Minthorn was remodeled and refurbished in 1962, 1989 and 1992.