Our MissionThe mission of our department is to educate students within a Christian environment in the disciplines of computer science and information systems. Department faculty are committed to maintaining a curriculum that emphasizes the foundations and basic principles of computer science and information systems while exposing students to practical applications and current computing hardware and software technology.
Our VisionThe vision for our department is twofold: First, to educate and nurture students who will become persons of influence, continually growing in stature with God and man. Second, our faculty seek to be people of increasing influence both in the lives of our students as well as the larger community at George Fox University and beyond to our technology-driven society.
Our students are prepared for a life of ongoing learning in computer science and information systems. Students are:
- Well educated in the foundations and basic principles of computer science and information systems
- Highly valued problem solvers, capable of bringing technological solutions to a wide variety of problems in many domains that require computer science and information systems expertise
- Prepared for a wide variety of careers in computer science and information systems
- Ready for further education at the graduate level
- The next generation of technological innovators, entrepreneurs and educators
Our students are distinctive by:
- Bringing a Christ-centered worldview to our increasingly technological world
- Being service-minded, bringing technological solutions to persons and organizations of limited means
The faculty of the Department of Computer Science and Information Systems are influential both in the lives of their students as well as our university and beyond. Faculty remain abreast of current technological development and trends by being active in the community through participation in research, consulting, and ongoing education. The department welcomes the natural growth that accompanies the increasing demand for well-educated computer and information scientists.
The department plays a key role in enlightening all George Fox students and other George Fox constituencies to the technical issues, concepts, and skills requisite for success in an increasingly technological world.
Two majors are offered within the department: