Incoming and transfer students who plan to participate in music ensembles and continue their study through applied music lessons are eligible to audition for music scholarships. Awards will be given in the areas of voice, instrument and piano.
The Scholarship Competition will be held Friday-Saturday, January 30-31 or February 6-7, 2015.
We offer two types of scholarships:
Academic Scholarships (deadline: Nov. 15)
Academic scholarships are available to incoming first-year college students and college transfers. Music academic scholarships will be awarded in Music Education, Music Instrumental, and Music Vocal.
To be eligible for the Scholarship Competition, YOU MUST:
- Complete an application for admission (including all necessary pieces) to George Fox by Nov. 15. To access the application and see what makes a complete application, please visit the application requirements page.
- Submit a complete Scholarship Competition Application Form (available on the Scholarship Competition website after September 1)
- Have a 3.0 cumulative GPA
Invitations to qualified students are sent December 31, with an R.S.V.P. due by January 15.
Other Important Details
- All admissions application materials must be postmarked by Nov. 15. Unfortunately, we cannot guarantee that SAT or ACT scores earned after the October test dates will reach our office by Nov. 15. Scores must arrive by that date to be used in determining Scholarship Competition eligibility. Later scores may still be used for application for admission and financial aid purposes.
- If you are invited to compete at the Scholarship Competition for Music, you will need to submit the Music Scholarship Application and two Music Recommendation Forms by January 15.
- Students must be present at Scholarship Competition to compete for all scholarships associated with this event.
- Students are only eligible to attend Scholarship Competition once.
- Announcements of award winners will be made in early March. All participants will be notified of their results by mail.
Each student may participate in one academic competition and should reflect the student's academic interest. Scholarships range from $1,000 to $2,500
The competitive Academic Scholarship is automatically renewable. All award winners must maintain a 2.5 George Fox grade point average and remain in good standing with the university.
Artistic Achievement and Participation Awards (deadline: Jan. 15)
Artistic Achievement and Participation Awards are intended to recognize students who demonstrate outstanding talent and who intend to contribute to the George Fox University community through participation and involvement (but not necessarily as majors). These awards are open to all new incoming students.
To be considered for an Artistic Achievement and Participation Award, YOU MUST:
- Start an application for admission by Jan. 15 (requires that the actual application be submitted, not all accompanying pieces). To access the application please visit the application requirements page. Application must be postmarked by Jan. 15
- Submit the Music Scholarship Application and two Recommendation Forms by Jan. 15
- Audition or meet portfolio submission deadlines as outlined by the department awarding the scholarship
Faculty will select the Artistic Achievement and Participation Award recipients and the amount of each scholarship. Awards will vary between $1,000 and $1,500 dollars. Announcements of award winners will be made after March 1. All participants will be notified of their results by mail.
All Music Scholarship/Award recipients are required to be enrolled in a major music ensemble and take applied lessons each semester. Strings (violin, viola, cello, bass) Scholarship/Award recipients must also be enrolled in MUSA 165S/365S String Ensemble.