Planaria Care Instructions
- The planarians live in fresh water. Water can be obtained from a local freshwater source or bottled spring water can be used.
- The water should be maintained at a temperature of 21° to 23° C.
- Water should be changed once a week.
- You can use a pipette to remove planarians from the container while changing water or for transferring planarians.
- It is recommended that brown planarians are fed egg yolk from a hard-boiled egg and black and white planarians are fed fresh beef liver.
- The planarians only need one 30-minute feeding period per week.
- The amount of food required is also relatively small. Fifty planarians, for example, should only be fed a pea-sized portion of egg yolk or a bottle-cap sized piece of liver (Pendergrass, 1980).
- In order to prevent an increase in bacteria that could be potentially detrimental to the planarians, it is probably best to change the water after feeding.
Download as a PDF