Associate Professor of Management
Office Location: Portland Center South, #194
Office Hours: Class nights, 4-6 p.m. and by appointment
Professor Steele has taught at George Fox since 2004. He brings to the classroom more than 25 years of professional and management experience at organizations including Intel Corporation and Matsushita, and continues to advise and consult with area companies. He serves on the Board of Directors of the HR Certification Institute, and is also a member of the SHRM Foundation’s Research Advisory Council.
His passion in teaching management is to seek practices that encourage personal growth and respect the human spirit. Jim and his wife, Deb, have been married more than 35 years and love international travel. He has led several groups of George Fox graduate students on study tours to Shanghai and Beijing, China. Jim is an avid amateur musician who enjoys jazz and plays guitar, bass, mandolin and trombone.
Professor Steele teaches:
- Organizational Behavior and Theory
- Leadership and Management
- Strategic Human Resource Management
- Human Resource Development
- Global Environment
- EdD in Educational Foundations and Leadership from George Fox University
- MS in Management from Marylhurst University with a certificate in Human Resource Management
- BCE (Bachelor of Christian Education) from Trinity Lutheran College
- Senior Professional in Human Resources (SPHR) and Global Professional in Human Resources (GPHR), Human Resources Certification Institute
- Certificate in International Human Resource Management, Cornell University
- Board of Directors, HR Certification Institute, Alexandria, VA.
- Research Advisory Council, SHRM Foundation, Alexandria, VA.
- Worship leader at Living Savior Lutheran Church, Tualatin, OR.
- Workplace learning
- Cultural intelligence
- Organizational change and transition
- Professional identity
- Steele, J. & Magee, T. (2013). Comparing cultural intelligence outcomes with and without travel abroad in an MBA course. Global Business & International Management Conference Journal, 6(13).
- Rahschulte, T. & Steele, J. (2011). "Creating the environment for high performing distributed teams: Human resource strategies and practice" in Milhauser, K. (ed.), Distributed team collaboration in organizations: Emerging tools and practices. Hershey, PA: IGI Global.
- Steele, J. (April, 2011). "Enlightened HR: Reframing our role from a strategic piont of view." CUPA-HR Northwest Spring Conference, Portland, Oregon.
- Steele, J. (September 2009). "Tipping the career ladder: Is up the only way?" Northwest Human Resource Management Association Regional Conference, Portland, Oregon.
- Steele, J. (September 2008). Change resistance: Turning a liability into an asset. Northwest Human Resource Management Association Regional Conference, Kennewick, Washington.
- Steele, J. (February 2008). Professional identity and professionals' workplace learning: A theoretical proposal. Academy of Human Resource Development International Research conference in the Americas, Panama City, FL.
- Steele, J. (October, 2007). Veterinary professionals in a corporate practice: Diagnosing sources of friction between professional and business roles. Best paper award for Organizational Behavior, Development and Theory from the Institute for Behavioral and Applied Management Conference, Reno, Nevada.
- Steele, J. (September 2006). "Human resource managment: An integrative discipline. Northwest Human Resource Management Association Regional Conference, Spokane, WA.
- Society for Human Resource Management
- Portland Human Resource Management Association
- Portland Strategic HR