Interested in pursuing a career in the sciences? Consider the many options open to you with a bachelor’s degree in chemistry from George Fox University. Our graduates are chemists, medical students, pharmacists, teachers, dental students and more.
Chemistry majors are prepared to enter the fields of education, research, forensic science and medicine, while many go on to graduate school to further their studies. You’ll take a wide range of courses that cover the theory and practice of modern chemistry, while a number of elective courses allow you to customize your course schedule to meet your unique educational and career goals. You will also study in a Christian college environment that recognizes God as Creator.
The quality of our program is reflected by the track record of our graduates, many of whom have achieved success at some of the nation’s top graduate and professional schools and in the job market.
Request more information about the chemistry major at George Fox University or schedule a visit to begin your education at Oregon's Christian university, ranked as one of the top Christian colleges in the nation by Forbes.
- Campus Virtual Tour
- Campus Life
- Scholarships & Financial Aid
- Contact Us
- Prospective Students
The job outlook for chemists is expected to hold relatively steady in the coming years, with prospects often dependent on the level of education achieved. The best job opportunities in the next few years will likely go to students who complete an advanced degree (MD, MS or PhD). Pharmaceutical and biotechnical firms will continue to be a primary source of chemistry jobs. However, there are many other options, such as education, environmental chemistry and medicine.
- Professor of Chemistry, Bethel University
- Professor of Chemistry, Montana State University Northern
- Senior Research Chemist, Pacific Northwest National Lab
- Chemistry Teacher, Aloha High School
- Pharmacist, OHSU
- CEO, Portland General Electric
- Forensic Scientist, Arizona Department of Public Safety
- Chemical Engineer, Hewlett-Packard
- Physical Therapist, Newberg Physical Therapy
- Family Physician, private practice
- Orthopedic Surgeon, private practice
- Stanford University
- U.C. Berkeley
- University of Texas
- University of Oregon
- Oregon State University
- University of Michigan
- Ohio State University
- Cornell University
- Emory University
- U.C. Davis
- University of Nevada
- University of Florida
- Oregon Health & Science University
- Washington University School of Medicine, St. Louis
- University of Washington, School of Medicine
- Loma Linda University, School of Medicine
- University of Southern California, Keck School of Medicine
- University of Iowa Carver College of Medicine
- Oregon Health & Science University, Portland, Ore.
- Bend Research, Bend, Ore.
- University of Thailand, Bangkok, Thailand
- Pacific Northwest National Lab, Kirkland, Wash.
"The Department of Chemistry provided a safe and supportive environment for me to explore my options in careers in science and medicine, both while I was a student at George Fox and after I had graduated. The faculty took the time to get to know me, and challenge and encourage me in exactly the ways that I needed in order to be successful."
- Kia DeMaster ('08), Medical student, University of Southern California
Points of Distinction
- Obtain hands-on experience with state-of-the-art chemical instrumentation.
- Perform cutting-edge research with professors and present your findings at national conferences.
- Participate in a research-based senior capstone laboratory course.
- Learn to think critically and solve real-world problems.
- Be mentored by caring and knowledgeable faculty who are actively involved in chemistry.
- Choose from a variety of internship and research opportunities.
Why George Fox?
Our faith influences everything we do here, from the way our professors teach to the way we relate to one another and serve in the community.
Nearly half of George Fox undergraduate students study abroad. That ranks in the top 60 out of 1,800 American colleges!
Our 14-to-1 student-to-faculty ratio means you'll get to know your professors on a personal level.
George Fox University is a Christian university classified by U.S. News & World Report as a first-tier regional university, and Forbes ranks George Fox among the highest Christian colleges in the country.