If you have a passion for music and want to pass that love along to the next generation, George Fox’s bachelor’s degree in music education is the ideal fit for you.
As a music education major, you will learn about music history, singing and ear training, music theory, conducting and music technology. You will receive training in curriculum and instruction, elementary music methods, and middle
level and high school music methods.
And, through our general education curriculum, you’ll take courses ranging from Bible and humanities to communication and natural science – all taught from a Christian worldview where faith is integrated with learning. Upon completion of the program you will be prepared to teach music education at the pre-K through grade 12 levels.
Request more information about the music education major at George Fox University or schedule a visit to begin your education at Oregon's Christian university, ranked as one of the top Christian colleges in the nation by Forbes.
- Campus Virtual Tour
- Campus Life
- Scholarships & Financial Aid
- Contact Us
- Prospective Students
Though budget cuts and a slow economy have tightened some opportunities, there are still many jobs available. In fact, nearly 100 percent of our music education graduates who pursue teaching jobs are successful in finding a position. Our graduates have landed jobs as public and private school music teachers, elementary school teachers, private studio teachers and university music professors.
- Gresham High School
- Wilsonville High School
- Scio High School
- Oakland High School
- Cedar Park Middle School
- Walker Middle School
- Sherwood High School
- Lakeview High School
- Whittaker Middle School
- Edwards Elementary School
- Burns High School
- Choral Conductors Workshop with Rod Eichenberger
- George Fox University Choral Symposium
- George Fox University State High School Qualifying Choir Festival
- George Fox University High School Band Festival
- Oregon Music Educators Association Conference
- University of Oregon
- Central Washington University
- Portland State University
- George Fox University
- University of Portland
- Portland State University
- Willamette University
“Fox is a program set apart by its quality of staff. Looking back, I can confidently and appreciatively say I learned from some of the best and most highly regarded music educators in Oregon. They are truly experts in their field and their insightful and pragmatic guidance has shaped the way I teach today.”
- Kathy Shuckerow('06)
Points of Distinction
- George Fox University has one of the largest and most active Collegiate National Association for Music Education chapters in the Northwest.
- Our program is recognized nationally for its comprehensive nature.
- Students can choose between a four-year (BA in music education) or a five-year plan (BA in music with a pre-teaching concentration and a fifth year in the MAT program).
Why George Fox?
Our faith influences everything we do here, from the way our professors teach to the way we relate to one another and serve in the community.
Nearly half of George Fox undergraduate students study abroad. That ranks in the top 60 out of 1,800 American colleges!
Our 14-to-1 student-to-faculty ratio means you'll get to know your professors on a personal level.
George Fox University is a Christian university classified by U.S. News & World Report as a first-tier regional university, and Forbes ranks George Fox among the highest Christian colleges in the country.