If the prospect of reading great books with a group of highly motivated peers under the guidance of a dedicated mentor appeals to you, we invite you to apply. Applicants will be evaluated on their academic merit, thirst for higher learning, and potential contribution to their cohort. The application process is as follows:
Apply to George Fox
Applications can be found at apply.georgefox.edu. A completed application for admission to George Fox includes a personal statement, an official high school transcript, one letter of recommendation, and official SAT or ACT scores. Students who complete their application by November 1st are eligible for the Wiliam Penn Honors Fellowship.
Apply to the Honors Program
Complete your application to the William Penn Honors Program by submitting the online application by one of the following application due dates:
- Early Application Deadline – November 1st
(Combined Interview and William Penn Honors Fellowship Day on December 8-9th)
- Priority Application Deadline - January 15th - deadline extended to January 22nd
Interview dates are Feb. 2/3, Feb. 9/10, and Feb. 17
- Regular Decision Application Deadline – February 15th
Students who apply after February 15th will be considered at the discretion of the program director and only if space is available. To find out if there is still room in the program, email email@example.com.
Writing sample: In order to help us gauge your writing style and whether or not you would be a good fit for the program, there are three essay questions included in the application. Please provide 300-400 word essays that answer the following questions. You may have someone proofread your essays, but we ask that you do all of the writing yourself.
- How have you been changed through your interaction with a work of art, piece of music or literature, or concept of math or science?
- St. Augustine once said, “Our character is usually judged not from what we know, but from what we love.” What is someone or something that you love and describe how that person or thing informs who you are?
- Tell us why you want to be a part of the William Penn Honors Program.
Combined Interview and William Penn Honors Fellowship Day (honors program scholarship) - early application deadline only
Selected applicants who apply to the William Penn Honors Program by the Early Application Deadline (November 1st) will be invited to attend the William Penn Honors Fellowship Day on December 8-9th. This on-campus experience introduces students to the program and provides an opportunity to interview for admission into the honors program and to compete for a William Penn Honors Fellowship. The William Penn Honors Fellowship Day affords students a unique scholarship opportunity and an up-close experience with our University's great books program. Save the date!
- Friday, December 8-9th - William Penn Honors Fellowship Day (Must have completed separate applications for admission to George Fox University and the William Penn Honors Program by November 1st.) William Penn Honors Fellowships range from $14,000 to $22,000. These scholarships replace merit scholarships and other GFU Scholarship Competition awards.
Interview Only - priority and regular decision deadlines
Selected applicants will be invited to interview for the William Penn Honors Program on select dates: Feb. 2/3, Feb. 9/10, and Feb. 17. Those who apply after November 1st will be contacted to schedule an on-campus interview with a program director or a member of the selection committee.
If you submitted your William Penn Honors Program application prior to March 1st, you will receive notification of the result of your application by the middle of April, at the latest.
- Complete the Letter of Intent below to accept or decline your offer of admission into the William Penn Honors Program. (Use this form only after you have been admitted into the honors program.)
- Submit the GFU $300 Enrollment Deposit to the admissions office. (A separate deposit is NOT required for the honors program.)