F-1 Enrollment Information
*These rules only apply to students at GFU in F-1 visa status.
Minimum Enrollment Requirements:
Each fall and spring, you must be enrolled for a minimum of at least
At least 12 hours if you are an undergraduate student.
At least 9 hours if you are a graduate student.
- Each fall and spring, you may take 1 online course to be counted to your minimum enrollment requirements.
- For immigration purposes, summer enrollment is optional. If your academic department advises you to enroll in the summer, you should do so.
- There are exceptions to the minimum enrollment requirements (see below).
- Academic Reduced Course Load - This can be granted for the following:
- It's your first semester and you are having difficulty with spoken English.
- It's your first semester and you are having difficulty with written English.
- It's your first semester and you are having difficulty with the U.S. method of how classes are taught.
- You were misadvised and registered for a class for which you were not prepared (did not take the correct pre-requisites) or were too well prepared (should have taken a higher level course).
- Medical Reduced Course Load - if you have a documented medical or mental health issue that effects your studies, you could be eligible to take less courses while you recover.
- During your final semester, immigration regulations only require that you take the number of credits you need to graduate. Exp: If you only need one class to graduate, you only need to enroll in that one class (which must meet face-to-face, not online).
- NOTE: If you decide to take less than a full course load, you should speak with Financial Aid and your academic department first.