Hoover and Hatfield
>> I was thrilled to read about Jim Foster in the George Fox Journal (“Psy-Fi,” Spring 2007). I read Footprints of Thunder years ago and enjoyed it very much. Now I know who the author is. I lost track of a few things when I started grad school and didn’t get to follow up with a new favorite author. I’m looking forward to reading the rest of his books.
Darlene Babin (G06)
>> It was saddening to read of Colleen Richmond’s passing (“Parting Is Such Sweet Sorrow,” Spring 2007). However, in the moments of reflection all of my memories of Colleen invariably involved a smile. I had many professors who spent a great deal of their time instructing me during my matriculation at George Fox. But very few of those professors also took the time to befriend me. Colleen was one of those few. Her thoughtful encouragement was a much-cherished cornerstone inmy college experience. As was typical of our interactions, her comments onmy final paper to her, an antinomic paper in which I somehow frappéd Yin and Yang and Macbeth, were “Suitably Incomprehensible! A.”
Jacob Lee Smith (G97)
Give us your best shot
Readers' photo contest
The George Fox Journal invites you to submit photographs that convey the university’s hallmark theme, "a matter of mind and spirit." The university adopted this theme during the development of its marketing plan initiated in 2002.
The winning entries will be featured in the Fall 2007 Journal. First place will be awarded $250, second place $100, third place $50. Other entries may be published. Runner-up entries also will be featured in the Fall 2007 Journal.
- The competition is open to all amateur photographers (people who do not earn more than 50 percent of their annual income as photographers). George Fox employees and their immediate families are ineligible. Each contestant may submit no more than three photographs.
- A photograph may be submitted in one of two ways: Digital: You may submit a jpg file, copied to a compact disk. Print: You may submit an unmounted 5"x7" or 8"x10" print.
- Attach a label to the back of each print or CD with your name and address. Entries will not be returned unless accompanied by a self-addressed, self-stamped envelope.
- Please include the following information with your entry: name, mailing address, e-mail, phone, title of entry, and a 50- to 100-word description of how the photograph conveys the idea of "a matter of mind and spirit."
- Mail your entry to Journal, George Fox University, #6069, 414 N. Meridian St., Newberg, OR 97132.
- Deadline: July 1, 2007
- The winner will be notified by Aug. 15.
Tell us what you think
We'd like to hear your opinion about the George Fox Journal or any articles printed in the magazine.
Please send letters to:
Journal, George Fox University,
414 N. Meridian St. #6069
Newberg, OR 97132
You may also write to email@example.com
Letters may be edited for length and clarity.
Please include an address and daytime phone number.