It took hundreds of hours, endless revisions and several prototypes to create what is arguably the best-looking helmet in NCAA Division III football. But don’t let the gleaming gold and deft design cues fool you – this helmet is equal parts style and substance.
The style comes courtesy of brothers and George Fox alumni Ryan and Kyler Dougherty, who volunteered their time and worked through a myriad of design iterations to find just the right look. Head football coach Chris Casey supplied the substance, implementing subtle features that build on his ethos of developing championship-caliber people and a championship-caliber program.
The result was a design that represents values like excellence, hard work and progression while paying tribute to Bruin teams of the past – the perfect look for a revived program that will take the gridiron for the first time in 46 years this fall.
- A stylized shape of a pyramid was inlaid into the helmet to subtly remind players of Coach Casey’s “Pyramid of Excellence,” which emphasizes qualities like perseverance, accountability and servant leadership.
- The design features an inlaid carbon fiber pattern, a material that is woven together and representative of the team-first mentality that Casey has instilled among his players.
- Gold claw marks convey motion, speed and ferocity in recognition of a new era of Bruin athletics, while also paying tribute to our Bruin mascot and teams of the past.
- The matte blue color used throughout the helmet reflects the blue-collar attitude Casey wants his team to bring to the field on game day.
- To bring concept to reality, the university partnered with Hydrographics Inc. (HGI), which has created helmets for the likes of Notre Dame, the University of Oregon and the Seattle Seahawks. The final design features a partially metallic gold facemask, one of HGI’s signature application elements.
2014 Football Schedule
Get in the game!
Visit georgefox.edu/footballtix for tickets to the team’s home opener.
Saturday, Sept. 6, 1:30 p.m. ARIZONA CHRISTIAN
Saturday, Sept. 13, 7 p.m. UNIVERSITY OF LAVERNE
Friday, Oct. 3, 7 p.m. @ Willamette
Saturday, Oct. 11, 1:30 p.m. @ Linfield
Saturday, Oct. 18, 1:30 p.m. UNIVERSITY OF PUGET SOUND (Homecoming & Hall of Fame Weekend)
Saturday, Oct. 25, 1 p.m. PACIFIC UNIVERSITY (Family Weekend)
Saturday, Nov. 1, 12:30 p.m. @ Whitworth
Saturday, Nov. 8, 1 p.m. LEWIS & CLARK
Saturday, Nov. 15, 1 p.m. @ Pacific Lutheran
(Home games in BOLD CAPS)