This collection documents the history of the university in Newberg, Oregon from its beginnings as Friends Pacific Academy in 1885, through the inception of Pacific College in 1891, the change of name to George Fox College in 1949, and finally to it's current identity as George Fox University.
The institutional memory is reflected by administrative data through minutes, correspondence, and official papers in a variety of formats.
Campus and student life is documented through photography files, yearbooks, directories, promotional materials, and various student organizational materials including the documentation of athletic events and programs.
Western Evangelical Seminary records were transferred to the collection in 1996 after the acquisition of the seminary and subsequent name change to George Fox Evangelical Seminary (now Portland Seminary).
The following guides for searching the Archives are available on the Northwest Digital Archives website:
- Pacific College (Newberg, Or.) Records 1850-1979
- Summary: The State of Oregon granted Pacific College a college charter in 1891. It was the outgrowth of a Quaker secondary school established ten years earlier when pioneer Friends emigrated to the Newberg area. The collection consists of record books, minutes, newspaper clippings, program plans, brochures, and photographs.
Document size: 9.52 KB
- Friends Pacific Academy Records 1885-1911
- Summary: The collection includes minutes, ledgers, grade books, and newspaper clippings from the board, faculty, and student literary societies at Friends Pacific Academy.
Document size: 7.07 KB
- Cascade College Records 1918-1976
- Summary: Cascade College was established in 1918 as the North Pacific Evangelistic Institute in Portland, Oregon. The name of the Institute was changed in 1929 to Portland Bible Institute, then became Cascade College in 1940. This collection contains correspondence, newsletters, yearbooks, and other documents from various boards, committees and student groups.
Document size: 13.19 KB
- Floyd Lienard Photograph Album 1921-1974
- Summary: The collection consists of one photograph album documenting Pacific College, Newberg, Oregon, from 1921 to 1925.
Document size: 5.12 KB
- Johannah Gerrits Memory Book 1922-1926
- Summary: The collection consists of one scrapbook documenting Pacific College, Newberg, Oregon, from 1922 to 1926.
Document size: 5.17 KB
- Western Evangelical Seminary Records 1948-1999
- Summary: Western Evangelical Seminary formed as a corporation in May 1945 to establish an institution united under an interdenominational commitment to the Wesleyan-Arminian tradition. The collection includes institutional records and publications pertaining to the creation of the seminary until its merger with George Fox University.
Document size: 7.07 KB
- George Fox College Records 1949-1995
- Summary: George Fox College, Newberg, Oregon, was originally established in 1891 as Pacific College and is now known as George Fox University. This collection comprises a variety of documentation including correspondence, minutes, financial documents, planning materials, publications, photographs and other media.
Document size: 7.20 KB
- George Fox University Records 1996-2011
- Summary: George Fox University is a liberal arts university founded in 1891 by Quakers in Newberg, Oregon. This collection documents its corporate memory from its transition from a college to university in 1996. Documentation includes administrative, curricular, and student activities in the form of minutes, correspondence, brochures, catalogs, reports, newsletters, and campus photographs of all facets of campus and college life.
Document size: 8.39 KB