George Fox University Records
Documents the history of the college in Newberg, Oregon, from its beginnings as Friends Pacific Academy in 1885, through the inception of Pacific College in 1891, the change of name to George Fox College in 1949, and the current collection of George Fox University Records.
The institutional memory is reflected by administrative data through minutes, correspondence, and official papers in a variety of formats. Campus and student life is documented through photography files, yearbooks, directories, promotional materials, and various student organizational materials including the documentation of athletic events and programs.
Western Evangelical Seminary records were transferred to the collection in 1996 after the acquisition of the seminary and the consequent name change to George Fox Evangelical Seminary (now Portland Seminary).
Dating from the late 1880s, this collection contains membership records, meeting minutes, directories, correspondence, bulletins, newsletters, pamphlets, sermons, reports, office files, financial records, biographical information, scrapbooks, and photographic images and audio/visual materials in various formats of the Northwest Yearly Meeting of Friends and local meetings within the yearly meeting.
The Manuscripts collection includes materials that created independently of the university or Northwest Yearly Meeting of Friends, but usually will have a relationship too one of these two organizations. They may include written histories, biographical writings, family papers, correspondence, research notes, publications, and may be in varying formats, such as photographic images and audio/visual materials. Most have been donated and accepted because of associations with the university or Friends church in the Northwest.
Online finding aids now allow off-site researchers to discover available materials at the George Fox/NWYM Archives with key word and subject searches.
As part of a grant from the National Historical Publications and Records Commission (NHPRC), you can search George Fox University/Northwest Yearly Meeting of Friends Church Archives via Archives West website (archiveswest.orbiscascade.org).
*Photo details: Woodmar Hall, constructed after Amanda Woodward and Evangeline Martin canvassed the area for donations in 1909-1910, raising $30,00 to begin the building that was named after the two energetic supporters of Pacific College.