Study Abroad Lithuania
George Fox University students may apply to study in Lithuania for one semester through a cooperative agreement with LCC International University in Klaipėda, Lithuania. Study Abroad Lithuania is designed for students in almost any major with course offerings in various disciplines. LCC is an international university with 600 students from over 20 countries, all courses are taught in English. Throughout the semester, students will have the opportunity to engage in the local community through internships and volunteerism as well as travel throughout the Baltics and Russia. Students live alongside other Eastern - European students in LCC student residences.
- Kristen Leichty (GFU Alumna '08) works as the senior recruiter for LCC study abroad, and visits the George Fox campus once a year to recruit students and re-connect with any semester off-campus alumni. While not visiting U.S. campuses, Kristen works as an admissions counselor, processing applications and advising study abroad students.
LCC offers majors in Business, English, Psychology and Theology and minors in Sociology, and Conflict Studies. You will find a variety of classes in those subjects. However, all majors can apply to Study Abroad Lithuania. Due to the wide range of courses you can take – including general education and Bible coursework – our program works for almost all majors. Current course offerings can be found here.
- 15 semester hours (5 courses)
- housing shared room with 3 European roommates
- monthly stipend (cash) for food and entertainment
- orientation week travel throughout Lithuania
- weekend trip to Riga and Tallinn
- one week semester break trip to St. Petersburg and Moscow
- Lithuanian student visa
- use of textbooks from the LCC library (yo u don’t have to buy them)
The student will fill out two applications:
• George Fox off-campus application form (obtained from the Center for Study Abroad; or downloaded here).
• LCC International University study abroad application (to be completed online here).
*The LCC application should only be completed after being informed from the George Fox Center for Study Abroad that you are accepted for an off-campus study semester.
Students must be full-time undergraduates with junior or senior status, holding a cumulative GPA of 3.0 or higher to apply. There is NO language requirement.
Because students remain enrolled at George Fox University while participating at LLC, academic credit is awarded by George Fox. Most students receive 15-17 semester hour credits (5 courses). Students have the opportunity to engage in the local community through internships and volunteerism. Students will be required to attend two pre-departure meetings, complete an online course evaluation, and attend a re-entry meeting upon their return. Students must see the transfer credit specialist in the Registrars office BEFORE they begin their semester off-campus.
Study Abroad students are housed in the two LCC student residences. Karklu Hall, located in the city center, is minutes away from great restaurants and entertainment options. Neuman Hall, located on the LCC campus, opened Fall 2007. In both halls you will share a room with 3 Eastern European roommates, have your own bathroom and fridge, and a common kitchen on each floor.
The student pays George Fox's standard tuition, room and board, and student fees (an additional fee is required to attend some programs). Participants continue to receive financial aid, including scholarships, since they are officially George Fox students. Round trip airfare is additional.