Go ED. Mekong Program
Go ED. is a program designed to transform the next generation to own and end poverty by engaging their heads, hands, and hearts in learning about community development first-hand. Go ED. Mekong is based near Chiang Mai, in the highlands of northern Thailand, with field practicum opportunities offered in Southeast Asian countries in the Mekong region. The Go ED. Mekong program engages students with the realities of marginalization of minority people groups in the context of development. Students have opportunities to interact with local communities, particularly those of the hill tribes (Lahu, Akha, etc.) whose lives are characterized by both abundance and struggle, natural richness and vulnerability, cultural beauty and social exploitation. In additional to classroom instruction, students participate in a month-long hands-on field practicum placement. The program fosters Christian spiritual formation alongside academic courses and cross-cultural experience and seeks to provide a context for mutual transformation.
- Exclusion & Exploitation: Marginal People of the Mekong
- History, Religion, & Society in the Mekong Region
- Social Context for Development
- Thai Cultural Arts
- Cross-cultural Field Practicum
- Four-week-long, full-time practicum opportunities with development organizations in Thailand, Laos, Cambodia, and Vietnam
- Guided spiritual formation sessions exploring "Owning Poverty"
- Engagement with the cultures through which the Mekong River flows
- Hands-on experience of the creative and cultural arts (local weaving, painting, dancing, cooking, etc.)
- Camping and Hiking in nearby national forets.
- Visiting a nearby Elephant camp.
The student will fill out two applications:
• George Fox off-campus application
• Go ED Thailand application
*The Go ED application should only be completed after being informed from the Director of Study Abroad that you are accepted for an off-campus study semester.
Students must be full-time undergraduates with junior or senior status, holding a cumulative GPA of 3.0 or higher to apply. There is NO language requirement.
Because students remain enrolled at George Fox while participating in the program, 16 hours of academic credit is awarded by George Fox University. Students will be required to attend two pre-departure meetings, complete an online course evaluation, and attend a re-entry meeting upon their return. Students must see the transfer credit specialist in the Registrars office BEFORE they begin their semester off-campus.
The program will provide lodging and food at the Go ED. house and dorm in Doi Saket, Thailand, on the campus of a Lahu bi-vocational college, as well as at all practicum locations where students stay in groups of two and three.
The student pays George Fox's standard tuition, room and board, and student fees (an additional fee is required to attend some programs). Participants continue to receive financial aid, including scholarships, since they are officially George Fox students. Round trip airfare is additional.