Policies and Procedures
Off-Campus Study Eligibility and Procedures
- Students must maintain a cumulative GPA of 3.0 or higher. Students applying to Oxford must have a minimum cummulative GPA of 3.7 or higher.
- Students must be sophomore standing or higher, including 31 semester hours completed at the time the application is submitted. Exceptions may be made for students required to take a semester abroad by their major.
- Students must be in good standing with Student Life
- Students must be current with student financial accounts.
- Students must be enrolled at George Fox for a full academic year prior to participation in an off-semester program. Exceptions may be made if necessary for completeion of a student's major requirements.
- Selection will be based on the academic purposes involved, grade point average, campus citizenship, and previous educational experiences.
Because students remain enrolled at George Fox, courses taken in the selected program will appear on George Fox transcripts with a letter grade. Some courses may meet general education or major requirements. However, approval for such credit must be obtained from the registrar's office before the off-campus semester.
Students pay George Fox's standard tuition, room and board, and student fees, and an additional program fee which varies according to the external program. Round trip airfare is also the responsibiility of the students. The student usually needs to cover the cost of textbooks and other educational materials, travel to the point of departure from the U.S., visas (if required), and immunizations, depending on the individual program. (Act 6 students must pay the entire program cost. Tuition Remission students are treated as a regular student and must pay the additional off-campus program fee)
Since the student is officially a George Fox student, they continue to receive financial aid, but there are no student employment opportunities in these programs.
George Fox does not require a deposit. However, most off-campus programs do require a deposit and an application fee. If approved by George Fox Center for Study Abroad the student is responsible to submit the required deposit and/or application fee along with the external program application. The deposit (but not the application fee) will be credited to the student's account.
Typically airfare is not included in the program cost.
Passport applications for U.S. citizens are available online. Detailed instructions and lists of charges are on the passport application. You will need a copy of your ORIGINAL birth certificate, two passport-size photos and money. Completed applications and supporting documentation can be submitted at one of the official passport offices; the closest office to Newberg is the Dundee post office. Have your photos taken at any place that does passport photos. Visas are also required for some countries.
First Friday of spring semester for the upcoming academic year (both fall and spring semesters). Submit all application materials to the George Fox to the Center for Study Abroad.
Interested in a program not currently approved by George Fox?
Students are able to participate in other programs aside from those listed on the national and international programs webpages. However, such student must take a leave of absence from George Fox during that semester. Once the student returns to campus the following semester, he/she would be re-enrolled as a George Fox student. As well, transfer credits are not guaranteed until the student has worked that out with their academic advisor and the George Fox Registrar's Office prior to their semester off-campus. The student will not receive George Fox finanical aid during the semester abroad. See the frequently asked questions section for more.