Assistant Professor of Art and Design
OPENING DATE: 8/26/2016
START DATE: January 2017 or August 2017
George Fox University announces a half-time, non-tenure-track faculty position in Art & Design with a specialization in interior design, to begin in January or August 2017. The committee seeks a practicing interior designer with significant professional experience, a broad knowledge of contemporary interior design for residential and commercial use, and an interest in human-centered, socially and environmentally responsible design.
George Fox University, a Christ-centered community, prepares students spiritually, academically, and professionally to think with clarity, act with integrity, and serve with passion. Professors teach all truth as God's truth, integrating all fields of learning around the person and work of Jesus Christ, bringing the divine revelations through sense, reason, and intuition to the confirming test of Scripture. As a Christ-centered community, George Fox University is an institution that values diversity as an essential dimension of God’s design for human communities. In seeking to become a more inclusive community, we especially encourage applications from women and candidates from racial and ethnic backgrounds that are underrepresented on our faculty.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Teaching courses at all levels within the interior design concentration of the Art & Design curriculum, including supervision of student internships within the interior design field.
- Curriculum development and revision for the interior design program as needed.
- Ability to recruit and work with adjunct interior design faculty as needed.
- Ability to develop and sustain an ongoing program of relevant scholarship appropriate to the position (which may include professional interior design practice).
- Participation in the work of the department and the university, including advising and serving on university committees as needed.
- A degree from an accredited institution in a relevant field (Interior Design, Interior Architecture, Architecture, etc.) is required. A master’s degree is preferred, but candidates with a relevant bachelor’s degree and significant industry experience may be considered.
- Working knowledge and experience using industry standard design software (AutoCAD, Adobe Creative Suite) is essential. Knowledge of Sketch Up is preferred.
- A commitment to teaching excellence is essential; experience teaching at the college level is preferred.
- A commitment to working with a diverse population of students (including students of color, first-generation college students, international students, etc.) is essential; demonstrated experience in this area is preferred.
- Candidates should have (or be eligible for) NCIDQ certification and be members in good standing of one or more relevant professional organizations (e.g. ASID, IIDA, IDEC).
- All applicants must express a personal commitment to Jesus Christ and express their Christian testimony in a local church. In addition, professors agree to live in agreement with the Community Lifestyle Statement and affirm the theological commitments expressed in the Statement of Faith.
Salary and Rank
Appointment at the Assistant Professor level is anticipated. A half-time teaching load consists of 15-credit hours per year (2-3 courses per semester) within a 9-month contract. Salary and benefits are competitive with comparable institutions.
Candidates should send a complete faculty application (including an integration of faith and learning essay), a curriculum vitae, a statement of teaching philosophy, and examples of professional work to Dr. Laura Hartley, Dean of the College of Arts and Sciences, George Fox University, 414 N. Meridian Street, #6283, Newberg, OR 97132 or via email to email@example.com. Recommendations and other supporting materials may be requested at a later stage of the review process. Review of applications will begin October 1, 2016 and will continue until the position is filled.