Assistant or Associate Professor of Art and Design
OPENING DATE: 9/15/2016
START DATE: August 2017
George Fox University announces a tenure-track faculty position in Art & Design with a specialization in graphic design and interactive media, to begin in August 2017. The committee seeks a practicing designer with significant professional experience, a broad knowledge of contemporary design practice and design history, as well as a thorough understanding of the technical, critical, and theoretical issues in both print and interactive media.
George Fox University, a Christ-centered community, prepares students spiritually, academically, and professionally to think with clarity, act with integrity, and serve with passion. Professors teach all truth as God's truth, integrating all fields of learning around the person and work of Jesus Christ, bringing the divine revelations through sense, reason, and intuition to the confirming test of Scripture. As a Christ-centered community, George Fox University is an institution that values diversity as an essential dimension of God’s design for human communities. In seeking to become a more inclusive community, we especially encourage applications from women and candidates from racial and ethnic backgrounds that are underrepresented on our faculty.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Teaching courses within the Art & Design curriculum, particularly introductory design classes, as well as print and interactive courses at all levels within the undergraduate graphic design concentration. Teaching within the art & design core and senior capstone level courses is also possible depending on expertise and interest.
- Collaborative leadership within the design program (which includes Interior Design, Illustration, and Graphic Design for web, print, and interactive media), including curriculum development and revision.
- Ability to develop and sustain an ongoing program of relevant scholarship.
- Participation in the work of the department and the university, including advising and serving on university committees as needed.
- Terminal degree (MFA or other) in a relevant field required. Applicants who are in the final stages of a terminal degree program will be considered, but must have an earned the degree by the time of appointment.
- Strong skills in image making, typography, and interactive design/new media are essential.
- Demonstrated excellence in teaching is essential.
- A commitment to working with a diverse population of students (including students of color, first-generation college students, international students, etc.) is essential; demonstrated experience in this area is preferred.
- Demonstrated ability to develop a program of relevant scholarship (peer-reviewed publications, juried exhibitions, professional design work, etc.) is essential.
- All applicants must express a personal commitment to Jesus Christ and express their Christian testimony in a local church. In addition, professors agree to live in agreement with the Community Lifestyle Statement and affirm the theological commitments expressed in the Statement of Faith.
Salary and Rank
Appointment at the Assistant Professor level is anticipated, though candidates with significant teaching experience at previous institutions will be considered for appointment at the rank of Associate Professor. Salary and benefits are competitive with comparable institutions.
Candidates should send a complete faculty application (including an integration of faith and learning essay), a curriculum vitae, a statement of teaching philosophy, and examples of professional/scholarly work to Dr. Laura Hartley, Dean of the College of Arts and Sciences, George Fox University, 414 N. Meridian Street, #6283, Newberg, OR 97132 or via email to firstname.lastname@example.org. Recommendations and other supporting materials may be requested at a later stage of the review process. Review of applications will begin October 15, 2016 and will continue until the position is filled.