Assistant Professor of Education - MAT
OPENING DATE: January 2017
START DATE: August 2017
George Fox University announces a tenure-track faculty position in the School of Education, to begin in August 2017. The successful candidate will have expertise in early childhood and elementary education. The position will include cohort leading within the MAT program at the Portland Campus. This is a 24 credit position with teaching and cohort leading responsibilities spread over three semesters.
George Fox University, a Christ-centered community, prepares students spiritually, academically, and professionally to think with clarity, act with integrity, and serve with passion. Professors teach all truth as God's truth, integrating all fields of learning around the person and work of Jesus Christ, bringing the divine revelations through sense, reason, and intuition to the confirming test of Scripture. As a Christ-centered community, George Fox University is an institution that values diversity as an essential dimension of God’s design for human communities. In seeking to become a more inclusive community, we especially encourage applications from women and candidates from racial and ethnic backgrounds that are underrepresented on our faculty.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Teaching courses within the curriculum of the MAT program in areas such as educational foundations, foundations of literacy, diverse populations and research.
- Cohort leading.
- Ability to develop and sustain an ongoing program of relevant scholarship.
- Participation in the work of the department and the university, including advising and serving on university committees as needed.
- Significant experience teaching in P-12 public schools.
- Advanced degree required (doctorate preferred) in education or elementary literacy.
- A strong record of using technology in P-12 schools.
- Background and experience necessary to teach graduate level courses in human development, classroom management, literacy foundations, and diverse populations.
- Demonstrated excellence in teaching is essential.
- A record of relevant scholarship is essential.
- A commitment to working with a diverse population of students is essential; demonstrated experience in this area is preferred.
- All applicants must express a personal commitment to Jesus Christ and express their Christian testimony in a local church. In addition, professors agree to live in agreement with the Community Lifestyle Statement and affirm the theological commitments expressed in the Statement of Faith.
Salary and Rank
Appointment at the Assistant Professor level is anticipated, though candidates with significant teaching experience at previous institutions may be considered for appointment at the rank of Associate Professor. Salary and benefits are competitive with comparable institutions.
Candidates should send a complete faculty application (including an integration of faith and learning essay), a curriculum vitae, a statement of teaching philosophy, and a concise description of research plans to Dr. Scot Headley, Dean of the College of Education, George Fox University, 414 N. Meridian Street, #124, Newberg, OR 97132 or via email to firstname.lastname@example.org. Recommendations and other supporting materials may be requested at a later stage of the review process. Review of applications will begin February 20, 2017 and will continue until the position is filled.