Assistant or Associate Professor of Social Work
OPENING DATE: 9/21/16
EMPLOYMENT PERIOD: August 15 - May 15
START DATE: August 15, 2017
George Fox University’s School of Social Work invites applications for the position of Assistant or Associate Professor. This is a full time (9-month) tenure track position with primary teaching responsibly in the Masters of Social Work program. This position may also teach/liaison in the field education component of the MSW program. Teaching in the Bachelors of Social Work program is also possible depending on areas of expertise. In addition to teaching, the successful candidate will perform faculty duties of scholarship and service, which is consistent with the expectations of the School of Behavioral and Health Sciences.
George Fox University, a Christ-centered community, prepares students spiritually, academically, and professionally to think with clarity, act with integrity, and serve with passion. Professors teach all truth as God's truth, integrating all fields of learning around the person and work of Jesus Christ, bringing the divine revelations through sense, reason, and intuition to the confirming test of Scripture. All applicants must express a personal commitment to Jesus Christ and express their Christian testimony in a local church. In addition, professors agree to live in agreement with the Community Lifestyle Statement and affirm the theological commitments expressed in the Statement of Faith. Individuals who would fit this profile are encouraged to apply for current openings in our faculty.
- Establish and maintain a positive teaching environment.
- Teach courses within the MSW and BSW programs and advise students.
- Participate in the work of the department, and participate on university committees, and in university governance.
- Engage in scholarship in such a way that you contribute to the advancement of your profession.
- Assist students with MSW research projects.
- Lead field education seminars and serve as a faculty field liaison.
- Communicate effectively and courteously with others, including employees, students and the public, in a spirit of teamwork, respect and customer service.
- By actions, words and lifestyle, be a Christian role model to students, whether through casual contact or in a formal supervisory role.
- Demonstrates awareness, respect and appreciation for diversity of culture, background, race, sex, political views, expressions of faith, etc. and works well with a variety of people.
- Be instrumental in using professional publications, professional presentations and other scholarly outlets to establish and maintain regional and national recognition.
- Support and/or be involved in ongoing research that will improve advanced practice within the program as well as within the profession.
- Identify sources for and participate in the preparation and implementation of grants.
- Maintain a program of scholarly activity appropriate with academic rank.
- Earned doctoral degree in Social Work or related field preferred.
- Masters of Social Work from a CSWE accredited school.
- Two-years post-Masters practice experience.
- Licensed or eligible for licensure in the state of Oregon.
- Evidence of academic scholarship established.
- Demonstrated quality in social work skills and undergraduate-level teaching.
- Design and conduct independent and/or collaborative research in clinical education or related areas.
- Able to work independently and coordinate work with colleagues and peers.
- An evangelical Christian commitment and lifestyle consistent with the institution's goals, including signed agreement with GFU Statement of Faith and Community Lifestyle Statement and being in living agreement with same.
Candidates should send a complete faculty application (including an integration of faith and learning essay), letter of interest, a curriculum vitae, a statement of teaching philosophy, and examples of professional/scholarly work to Dr. Jim Foster, Dean of the College of Behavioral and Health Sciences, George Fox University, 414 N. Meridian Street, #6127, Newberg, OR 97132 or via email to email@example.com.
Recommendations and other supporting materials may be requested at a later stage of the review process. Review of applications will begin immediately and close when the position is filled. For more information about GFU, consult our web site, www.georgefox.edu.
George Fox University seeks to become a more racially and ethnically diverse community. We believe this goal is in keeping with our mission as a Christ-centered community, and so we especially encourage women and candidates in underrepresented groups.