ASC Minutes: 08-27-2012

ASC Minutes: 8-27-2012 

ASC CENTRAL COMMITTEE MEETING 

Monday, August 27, 2012 

1.1 Where everyone is at with his or her committees – positions still available.

 

1.2 PRAYER: Josh.   

1.3 CALL TO ORDER: 3:40pm 

1.4 ROLL CALL: Wesley. All are present including Joel.  

NEW BUSINESS 

1.5 Academic Pursuit Fund Budget - Wesley

Proposal: To increase the APF from $8,000 to $11,000.

Discussion:

  •  
    • Toni: Do we know how much of the Academic Pursuit Fund got used last year?
    • Wes: Yes, last year all was used. It was $4,000. It’s been small for a long time and some was even added to it last year. I think we could add to it more. All proposals are up to their amount not a guaranteed extra amount; it just means if we vote for it and we have the means we can use it.
    • Brandon: There was $2,000 left in this fund last year.
    • Wes: There were complaints last year that people weren’t able to go to conferences because there wasn’t enough money to go.
    • Toni: Even though there was money left over?
    • Wes: Yes.
    • Toni: When did it go up to $8,000?
    • Jessica: At the end of last year. It appears that they were being cautious with groups near the end of the semester and not granting groups a lot of money.
    • Brandon: From these records it shows that they used about $5,000 first semester last year and after that they didn’t really use it again. There was only one transition. There might have been some other little things.
    • Bryan: I foresee an opportunity with the funds that we should do a major campaign to let students know we have these funds. Then we could potentially raise this fund next year if it gains popularity.
    • Brandon: There is still some contingency left, but some has to be used because right now were $10,000 over our budget due to fewer students.
    • Wes: The money coming in is $10,000 less than last year because of fewer students.
    • Jessica: If we spend all of budget and all on contingency, then we can roll over into reserves.
    • Wes: This is money students have entrusted to us, so we should use as much as we can.
    • Bryan: So for now we don’t need to add more money to this fund.

Call to Question: Bryan

Seconded: Marissa

Motion Fails: 0-7-0 

1.6 Assistant Community Service Coordinator - Toni

Proposal: Add an Assistant Community Service Coordinator position to the Christian Services Director Staff to oversee the Adopt-A-Grandparent program.

Discussion:

  •  
    • Josh: Do you plan on keeping the assistant coordinator?
    • Toni: Yeah.
    • Bryan: How many are involved?
    • Toni: Around 15 students last year. There isn’t a lot of documentation on it because there isn’t anyone keeping track of it. It hasn’t been consistent but that could be because it isn’t organized. There are a lot of people interested in it and there is expected to be more interest in it if it is more organized and became a supported, coordinated program.
    • Bryan: Are the girls basketball team still a part of this?
    • Toni: No, they haven’t continued with that tradition. There is more involvement with Little Bruins in that regard last year.
    • Brandon: Would you need another account to do this?
    • Toni: A budget? No we wouldn’t. It’s always come from community service and there’s enough money in that. Students just go and hang out with them and the only cost is a stipend.
    • Bryan: What do they do?
    • Toni: They meet with them an hour a week. They partner with people with Friendsview (Retirement Home) that are interested and they just hangout. A lot of them are alums too. The only cost is only a stipend.
    • Margaret: How many people are in the community services committee?
    • Toni: None of the Christian Service Committees have had a committee in a long time. It wasn’t really necessary. I couldn’t really find where the stipend amounts were listed and so that’s why I went with a $200 stipend.
    • Jessica: Serve Trip Coordinator stipend is $440.

Motion to Amend: Toni (the stipend up to $440.)

Seconded: Jessica

Amendment Pass: 7-0-0

Call to Question: Josh

Seconded: Bryan

Motion Passes: 7-0-0

  

1.7 Supreme Court Budget Proposal – Bryan

Proposal: 1) Increase general supplies budget from $850 to $3000. 2) Increase representatives budget from $400 to $8000 ($1000 per rep).

Discussion:

  •  
    • Wes: In the past did these representatives use their whole budget?
    • Bryan: I have no idea.
    • Brandon: Yeah, they had $2.00 left.
    • Joel: What did they use their money for?
    • Jessica: To have paper wigs made so we could wear them, but we didn’t. 
    • Josh: So it is $1000 per student right?
    • Bryan: Yes.
    • Wes: Is that per student their representing or as the UG student body.
    • Bryan: It will vary between each rep.
    • Marissa: What will they use their money?
    • Bryan: I could see the reps being direct ambassadors to the student government with their group of people. This way they can use money at a moments notice with their group. It allows them be involved when they can spend money on people.
    • Toni: Is it almost like an entertainment budget?
    • Jessica: That’s what it was last year.
    • Bryan: If all the Supreme Court is I want to use money here and there were not going to attract people. I see them as the barometer for the vision of GFU; they go back and live with the people. Then we can catch onto that vision.
    • Toni: Can’t they use the CLF for big activities?
    • Bryan: Yes they can.
    • Toni: What’s the typical amount that’s allotted to our subcommittees?
    • Jessica: The people underneath us? They all have a $20 entertainment budget.
    • Toni: I was thinking reps are like the coordinators underneath us and the coordinators’ budgets aren’t that high. There is also the CLF.
    • Josh: What is the difference between this and the CLF?
    • Bryan: I see the CLF as an RA event Fund. I have only had RA’s come and ask me about it. I would like to see students come and use this fund.
    • Toni: It’s not just for RA’s. Your representatives could use it if they needed more because that’s what it is used for.
    • Bryan: $50 for a rep is useless. What are they going to do with that?
    • Brandon: But $1000 is a lot. Last year they even brought down their budget by $500 because they didn’t use it at all. This is actually for supplies and not entertainment.
    • Bryan: I’m not looking it at as an entertainment budget. This is for them to do things with or for people.
    • Brandon: I think this money gives people more power than they need.
    • Josh: That’s what I foresee because if they already have this money they could go spend it on things that are not related or only with their friends. I don’t know how this could be monitored, but for now it is super easy to abused.
    • Toni: To specify we are talking only about the representative’s budget.
    • Brandon: I would suggest representative’s budget for supplies and the entertainment fund for other things. We reduced this by $500 it used to be $900 and they didn’t use that at all.
    • Toni: What about general supplies budget?
    • Wes: We pulled the video money out of contingency. So this money would be put in for a potential other video? And what about electronic voting?
    • Bryan: I’m just foreseeing that it will be more extensive to do the voting and Peter said it was impossible without purchasing software or hiring someone.
    • Wes: Is that a conversation to have at another time? To pull money out of contingency later? Because I don’t think we should pull money out when we are not sure what will happen. Maybe once we do have concrete info we can do that.
    • Bryan: I was thinking to do a substantial improvement.
    • Jessica: You have time to do that. Then you can get all the kinks out before you propose it to central.
    • Wes: Something like this should be two proposals in the future. We would have to fail both or pass both or else we would have to amend it.

Call to Question: Jessica

Seconded: Josh

Motion Fails: 0-7-0 

1.8 Foxhole Budget - Brandon

Proposal: I propose a $2500 increase in the Foxhole Supplies account, which would mean that the budget would increase from $5500 to $8000.

Discussion:

  •  
    • Brandon: This isn’t that hard. What I’m planning on doing is increase the revenue accounts so it cancels each other out with the other account.
    • Wes: It’s a formality.

Call to Question: Toni

Seconded: Josh

Motion Passes: 7-0-0 

1.9 New furniture for the ASC office  - Marissa and Bryan

Proposal: We propose 10 new desk lamps, 5 standing lamps, 3 sets of curtains, 10 office chairs, and 6 visitor chairs be purchased for the ASC office. The total cost is $1,229.66

Discussion:

  •  
    • Jessica: Where are the visitor chairs going to go?
    • Bryan: All around the office.
    • Brandon: About the Desk lamps, are those intended to go on all the desks? Because Margaret and I don’t need them. 
    • Toni: I know were trying to make our office look official, but I wonder how much money we can justify to make it look good versus replacing what needs to be replaced. I can see us wanting to improve it but not spending as much.
    • Brandon: What’s the difference between a standing lamp and a desk lamp?
    • Bryan: The desk lamps would go on all the desks and the standing lamp is for the corners. Curtains for the two sliding doors and everyone gets a new chair and two visitor chairs for each office.
    • Margaret: We have the conference room too so we don’t need all the visitor chairs.
    • Wes: How much is in the equipment budget? Did the ping pong tables come out of that?
    • Brandon: $10,000 and last year we only used half of it.
    • Jessica: And equipment is different for the FoxHole and for ASC so the ping pong tables wouldn’t come out of our budget.
    • Marissa: This stuff isn’t just for us; it’s for all those after us.

Motion to Amend: Jessica – 5 desk lamps, 4 standing lamps, 3 sets of curtains, 10 office chairs, and 4 visitor chairs and to approve up to the same budget even though it will definitely be less.

Seconded: Josh

Amendment Passes: 7-0-0

Call to Question: Josh

Seconded: Marissa

Motion Passes: 7-0-0 

1.10 Student Body Tablets 

Proposal: Purchase of 5 iPads, 2 Logitech keyboard covers, and 3polyurethane covers, and AppleCare service for the use of any and all ASC/GFU Student Body related functions. Free Shipping is included in this Purchase.

Discussion:

  •  
    • Wes: Have you written up a standard for groups?
    • Jessica: I have not.
    • Wes: As well as who would be in charge?
    • Jessica: It says that it will be under lock and key with the communications director.
    • Josh: So we would buy five iPads to be used for tables, voting, registration and then meetings.
    • Marissa: Can you get credit card “swipers” for iPad like you can for a smartphone?
    • Jessica: You can buy a square adapter but they aren’t factored in here.
    • Marissa: I’m thinking that whenever we are selling we could use those, like for dances when we sell tickets.
    • Bryan: That would be awesome; we could almost eliminate cash completely.
    • Jessica: What would that look like on your end Brandon?
    • Bryan: Probably a seconded account?
    • Brandon: Yeah.
    • Wes: What do we think about getting five?
    • Brandon: I think in central committee meetings I can just bring my laptop and then I can look at two screens at once rather than one screen at a time on an iPad.
    • Bryan: What would be a more ideal number?
    • Brandon: Maybe 2 or 3 because I do like the whole credit card thing.
    • Bryan: I’m thinking of the voting thing. We would be able to then walk around and go to people to vote and it would be a lot easier.
    • Wes: What account would this be coming out of?
    • Jessica: I wasn’t sure so I put contingency, but I also put equipment.
    • Brandon: It would be coming out of equipment.
    • Bryan: Since we’re buying AppleCare we don’t need to worry about it breaking.
    • Jessica: I only ordered the ones with Wi-Fi not the newer ones that are different.
    • Brandon: What is that polyurethane thing?
    • Jessica: It’s just a case that you put on it to keep it safe. The Logitech case has a keyboard with it, which is can be used in certain circumstances because it would be an external keyboard.
    • Bryan: If we we’re going to use them for dances at a venue with no Wi-Fi we would be screwed if someone wanted to swipe their cards.
    • Joel: Well if you wanted to do that and use it offsite you would need a wireless phone connection.
    • Toni: I don’t think we would use that enough to justify spending money on that.
    • Marissa: I was just thinking of using it in the Bruin’s Den when selling tickets. 
    • Wes: We could just look for places with Wi-Fi hotspots.
    • Jessica: The only reason I wrote 5 is because there are 8 of us and then there’s 8+ people in Bryan’s committee and they can share.
    • Bryan: I’m failing to see how they can be used in meetings; I can see everything else but not meetings.
    • Jessica: It would just be a substitute for your computer; it’s a little less cumbersome and a separation between personal life and ASC.
    • Wes: So I move to amend to three.
    • Toni: Well I was thinking two because when we are sitting at tables there are no more than two people for people voting or dance tickets, especially if were not using them in meetings.
    • Brandon: Another thing is, why can’t we get an adapter and use the credit card things for our laptop.
    • Bryan: One thing is this is for image.
    • Toni: I am not ok with spending money on that.
    • Bryan: Why not? We are a world-class university we should have new technologies.
    • Jessica: Don’t forget it’s not just us using it. There are other organizations that come to campus and could have access to these.
    • Toni: I don’t see why we need them when we can do all of this on our laptops.
    • Bryan: Why haven’t we for years past?
    • Toni: Because we don’t need them.
    • Bryan: But it isn’t working.
    • Marissa: You aren’t going to walk around the quad with a laptop.
    • Toni: But who would do that?
    • Jessica: His subcommittee will and that’s part of their position.
    • Toni: I just feel that for most events sitting at tables there are normally two people at a table. I just don’t think we need more than 2. I feel one will be sitting around.
    • Marissa: Well say Kelly wants to use it in a meeting and we already checked the other two out to another group.
    • Toni: Well then she can use her laptop.
    • Margaret: We are the last class to get laptops so that’s becoming less and less common.
    • Toni: Most students come in with laptops though.
    • Margaret: You can’t make that assumption. Students are less mobile with their computers.
    • Brandon: What if we order two now and another later to experiment because I wouldn’t want the price of one to go down the drain if we don’t end up using it.
    • Wes: We aren’t making room in the budget for this it’s just something were proposing so that is a possibility.
    • Bryan: I still think three because there will be different ways we could come up to use these.
    • Brandon: iPads are always updating so what happens when the next version comes out?
    • Marissa: Well it would be like our computers we could update the software and not the hardware.
    • Margaret: If we got three we could have one with the keyboard and two without.

Motion to Amend: Josh – 3 iPads, 3 Apple Cares 2 covers, 1 keyboard cover – new cost = $1671.95

Seconded: Bryan

Amendment Passes: 5-2-0

Call to Question: Josh

Seconded: Margaret 

Motion Passes: 7-0-0 

1.11 Little Bruin Stipend Increase – Toni 

Proposal: I propose an increase in the total amount of money allotted for the Little Bruins stipend from $720.00 to $1050.00 because of the additional responsibility of coordinating High School mentoring that has been added to the Little Bruin Coordinator job description.

Discussion:

  •  
    • Josh: Like it.
    • Bryan: I feel good about this, but as we move ahead I think we need to take a closer look at the stipends.
    • Marissa: I know that’s something we were talking about.
    • Toni: I have my subcommittee and their subcommittee hires people who get paid too.
    • Bryan: I feel good about adding value to that position.

Call to Question: Marissa

Seconded: Josh

Motion Passes: 7-0-0 

1.12 Little Bruin Budget Increase – Toni

Proposal: I propose a budget increase of 50% for the Little Bruins ministry from $630.00 to $950.00 in order to compensate for the addition of a High School mentoring program.

Discussion:

  •  
    • Margaret: How is this budget used?
    • Toni: At the beginning there was a lot of printing but now we are trying to go paperless. They also through a lot of parties to get all the mentors/mentees together. So most of the supplies go to that.
    • Bryan: If Little Bruins is going to encompass high school the name should change.
    • Josh: But that doesn’t affect this. Otherwise, I think this is fine.

Call to Question: Josh

Seconded: Marissa

Motion Passes: 7-0-0 

1.13 Activities Committee Budget Increase – Marissa 

Proposal: I request that $7,000 be added to the General Activities budget.

Discussion:

  •  
    • Margaret: I understand increasing the dances and Blue Zone budget I don’t see the need for general and special activities budget.
    • Josh: How has the budget come out on those before? Did you go out or under?
    • Marissa: Adding to general would be more for pizzazz and then special programs would go towards getting performers.
    • Toni: What’s in special programs now there now?
    • Marissa: $7500 for Lip Sync Bruin Preview Concerts and any other Concerts.
    • Toni: How much does it cost to bring someone like Gungor?
    • Joel: Gungor wanted around $5,000, which isn’t even that, much in the real world.
    • Bryan: I think it would be good to give Marissa flexibility to flourish.
    • Jessica: I was thinking back to Margaret’s comment on General activities, where do we spend money on snacks?
    • Marissa: Almost every event.
    • Bryan: Plus it is good to give extra money to give back to volunteers so they want to come back and help.
    • Jessica: I think special programs could be $2000. Basically move $1000 from general activities to special programs.

Call to Question: Jessica

Seconded: Josh

Motion Passes: 7-0-0 

1.14 Retreats Budget Increase – Josh 

Proposal: I propose adding $1,500 to Retreats Budget.

Discussion:

  •  
    • Toni: I have never been to a retreat, have they spent this money in the past?
    • Josh: It’s hard to question something I can’t foresee. We’re doing a combined retreat in the spring rather than men and women. I want to go all out in the spring and get a nice speaker and a good musician. I think $1500 will be enough. The retreats budget in general in $20,000 but the cost for the facility in the fall is $11,000.
    • Wes: We ok’d giving more money to retreats last year right?
    • Brandon: I don’t think we did, but it may have come out of contingency.
    • Josh: I don’t mind scrapping this if we can just do it later.
    • Bryan: I agree so we can end up getting someone worth it when we know exact numbers.
    • Wes: I think it’s dangerous to do it that way and I’d rather give him a budget to work within and if he needs to go out we can assess that later.
    • Toni: I think if we had over $3,000 left last year that will give us a cushion.
    • Wes: I wouldn’t mind approving $1500 more know and if we need to approve another $1500 later we can do and then it wont be such a big chunk coming out of contingency. But we could always do more because we pass it up to a certain amount.

Motion to Amend:  Josh – up to $5,000

Seconded: Toni

Amendment Passes: 7-0-0

Call to Question: Josh

Seconded: Toni

Motion Passes: 7-0-0 

1.15 Spanish Chapel –  Toni 

Proposal: Addition of Spanish Chapel to Campus Ministries Sub-Committee

Discussion:

  •  
    • Marissa: I feel that this is very straightforward.
    • Josh: This is right with all my other committee budgets. There is stipend money factored in as well.
    • Bryan: How many attend?
    • Josh: It’s been about 30 to 50. There’s already a leader too.
    • Toni: And It’s growing especially if it is more established.
    • Wes: We have a large group of Spanish speaking students.
    • Margaret: It’s also required for some majors.

Call to Question: Jessica

Seconded: Josh

Motion Passes: 7-0-0 

1.16 Community Life Fund

Proposal: Deciding what to do with Community Life Proposals before there is an established Supreme Court.

Discussion:

  •  
    • Wes: What did we decide on the Supreme Court proposals?
    • Bryan: I had people come and ask me and I said it would be 5 weeks. I told RA’s that there is a form online that will be up shortly. I would like to see them get their receipts to us two weeks after us approving it so it keeps both of us responsible.
    • Wes: Do you have specific guidelines that he can look at?
    • Bryan: For the next five weeks they can do what they want and it can’t be approved.
    • Wes: Therefore most of the time they send you a proposal and they want to know if their event can be reimbursed. They also haven’t had two weeks of school to submit proposals.
    • Jessica: So what are we doing for the next 5 weeks?
    • Bryan: Tell them they can submit whatever they want but there are no guarantees. It’s clean to keep track of things.
    • Wes: But they’re asking for guarantees from us.
    • Bryan: But there aren’t requirements or guarantees from us.
    • Toni: However, there has to be consistency between your rulings.
    • Josh: But our constitution says, they aren’t guaranteed to be reimbursed until there is a supreme court.
    • Wes: Central Committee would act on these proposals and then Supreme court could rule if we acted constitutionally.
    • Jessica: What we need to say is wait five weeks for supreme court because that is just.
    • Toni: But that denies people the right to a fund when there is going to be so many events in this.
    • Wes: There are a lot of kids that wont be able to afford these events without knowing your going to get money back.
    • Jessica: They would just have to wait a little longer for it to get passed.
    • Wes: We need to decide right now what we want to do.
    • Josh: Let’s say we pass this there is no way we can say you will get reimbursed when you have to wait for Supreme Court.
    • Wes: You’re 98% sure but yes they have the final say.
    • Margaret: I think Toni’s right and that we have to do something with them and not leave them alone.
    • Bryan: Isn’t there something about spending less than $250 it doesn’t go through the same process? I found it a miscellaneous fund can help with unbudgeted things. Constitutionally this isn’t our place, but I think it’s stupid.
    • Toni: There needs to be something that’s fixes this problem.

Motion to Table: Josh

Seconded: Margaret

Tabled 7-0-0 

1.17 DISCUSSION 

Post Office Hours

Wednesday night - LGBT Issues – RA meetings 
 

1.18 NEXT ACTION REMINDERS 

Website – CLF proposal

Jessica – Write the procedure on how to use iPads 

1.19 MEETING ADJOURNED: 5:30pm