ASC Minutes: 09-03-2012

ASC Minutes: 9-3-2012 

ASC CENTRAL COMMITTEE MEETING 

Monday, September 3, 2012 

2.1 PRAYER: Margaret.   

2.2 CALL TO ORDER: 3:35pm 

2.3 ROLL CALL: All are present except for Wes.  

2.4 Updates and Committee News 

2.5 Budget Discussion –  Miscellaneous Fund (To be determined); Petty Cash; iPads  

NEW BUSINESS 

2.6 PR Position Added to The Crescent - Lexie Christopherson and Chelsea Sowers

Proposal: We are purposing a new Public Relations position for the Crescent. This person would update the Crescent Facebook and Twitter pages, update the Blurgh and explore new ways to advertise and promote the Crescent on campus.

Discussion:

•  
    • Joel: What does a reporter get?
    • Margaret: $440 or $330
    • Jessica: I think its $250 I was a reporter last year and it was not very much money
    • Margaret: I am in favor of this and we talked about having a PR person under the crescent. We split it up so they wouldn’t have to be web editor.
    • Brandon: The stipend for the other position is $330.
    • Margaret: I say $330 would be a fine amount then.
    • Bryan: Why do you have to advertise a newspaper which is a method of advertising
    • Brandon: I can see if you’re looking outside the community or external advertisers in the newspapers
    • Bryan: But this doesn’t talk about bringing in sponsors.
    • Jessica: It could though if you making connections.
    • Toni: Could we add this to someone else’s job descriptions?
    • Brandon: What does the business editor do?
    • Joel: So really you’re trying to hire a social media person.
    • Bryan: You could designate it out like we do.
    • Margaret: But it has been hard to do that.
    • Jessica: I know that it was a heavy workload last year for the one that took on more than his role.
    • Toni: How much time does this take up in a week?
    • Margaret: About the same amount of time as a reporters.
    • Bryan: Does someone do the Blurgh now?
    • Jessica: No one does it now.
    • Bryan: How many people use the Blurgh?
    • Jessica: I don’t know it depends.
    • Marissa: Well it got really popular last year before certain events they advertised.
    • Margaret: It is linked it to our website to so that’s important.
    • Jessica: But not any more because it is now password protected.

Call to Question: Josh

Seconded: Marissa

Motion Passes: 4-2-0 

2.7 CLF: BBQ for Living Area – Josiah Hotovec (Untabled from last week)

Proposal: I am proposing that the community life fund be used to support a BBQ for Fulton St, Campbell, and Schomberg houses in the amount of $131.

Discussion:

•  
    • Marissa: We read this last week can we take a vote. 

Seconded: Marissa

Motion Passes: 6-0-0 

2.8 CLF: Summer in September – Sarah Gilmore

Proposal: I would like to request $52.30 to fund the first official floor event of the year for

Macy 1. I’m calling it “Summer in September” because we’re going to have a picnic on the

Quad, go on a walk in the sunshine, draw with sidewalk chalk, and have a movie night – featuring popcorn and ice cream sundaes, with fresh berries as toppings.

Discussion:

•  
    • No discussion.

Call to Question: Bryan

Seconded: Josh

1.9 CLF: Nursing Club BBQ – Megan Wiuff

Proposal: I would like to put on a beginning of the year BBQ for the nursing club.

Discussion:

•  
    • Joel: Are they an official club?
    • Toni: Are they allowed to call themselves a club?
    • Joel: I would suggest them to become a club. I don’t know why they aren’t.
    • Bryan: Who’s proposing this?
    • Josh: Megan Wiuff, a senior. 
    • Joel: Tell them if they want to be a club, they should be a club.

1.10 CLF: Commuter BBQ – Lindsay Rule

Proposal: I would like to have a commuter BBQ Wednesday Sept. 12th in the commuter parking lot from 3-5pm.

Discussion:

•  
    • Marissa: I think this is a great idea because it will be in the parking lot on their way home.

Call to Question: Marissa

Seconded: Bryan

2.11 CLF: Reimbursement for State Fair Trip – Lexie Christopherson

Proposal: I would like to propose a reimbursement for Weesner House’s trip to the Oregon State fair on Saturday, Sept. 1st, 2012.

Discussion:

•  
    • Bryan: We can do retroactive events. I told RA’s that if you turn in your plan the minute before the meeting we’ll take it. Also we are switching it from 10 people to 3 people minimum. We want to go less than 10 because we want to get closer to our friend groups. Anything retroactive we will potentially pass up to two weeks after.
    • Jessica: Bryan is working on putting it online.
    • Bryan: It was 10 people minimum last year and it’s not a constitutional thing to change. Traditionally this proposal is higher than normal that we would approve. The high is about $10 a person.
    • Jessica: However our goal is to fully spend because it is ok to use what we have.
    • Bryan: Therefore I’m ok with spending $11 a person on this.
    • Jessica: Last year this $8 limit hindered us from voting on something that would be unique because it’s to much.
    • Brandon: A suggestion would be to give them a monthly report on how much it left.
    • Jessica: It will be online soon.

2.12 Support for Race to 2025 Team

Proposal: I propose that the university cover the registration fee for the four students representing George Fox as a participatory team in the Wycliffe USA Race to 2025, amounting to $600. 

Discussion:

•  
    • Jessica: If we were to do this how would we track if they use it for the right thing?
    • Brandon: There’s normally a confirmation online.
    • Bryan: This seems like social responsibility to me.
    • Toni: But the social responsibility fund is for students to assist an organization not for students to participate.
    • Jessica: This can’t be used for direct support students or faculty.
    • Bryan: I could debate that.
    • Josh: But because this money is paying for registration is cannot count towards social responsibility fund.
    • Toni: I think the point of the fund is to support a student body interest not to support George Fox students. We can give money straight to people and not designate what its for.
    • Joel: We could use CLF.
    • Jessica: We would have to know what they are doing academically because if it applies to be academic pursuit it would make more sense. I know this will benefit Mary Owen but I don’t know about the others.
    • Jessica: This could come from CLF, which is also a ministry.
    • Toni: Isn’t it weird that we don’t have a fund to go and support this?
    • Bryan: l agree with you. We should morph social responsibility into something else.
    • Josh: Are we comfortable spending $600 on this for the next 3 weeks?
    • Joel: We don’t have to approve all $600.
    • Toni: I just feel that this is all really good and I know they should have this opportunity. What about the academic fund?
    • Joel: They’d have to resubmit it with the academic proposal.
    • Bryan: I know that their student body fee is $200/year so they would be getting it back and free events than anyone else on this campus is.
    • Jessica: we could table it because we have a week between now and the registration.
    • Bryan: I don’t think so because I think that is way too much to be proposing.
    • Jessica: We are at $700 for three weeks, which is not enough for three weeks. Like I said I think we should table this and have them talk to Spiritual Life.
    • Toni: Spiritual Life will tell them to talk to me and I cant do anything.
    • Bryan: We could do a retroactive thing through community life in five weeks when supreme court.
    • Jessica: If they do academic pursuit they are guaranteed $50, which is their best option. The proposal would have to be rewritten for that though. This would be their best option.

Seconded: Bryan

Motion Passes: 0-6-0 

2.13 DISCUSSION 

Look over the serve day email from Mark Pothoff.

I will not be manning a booth I have to work for the Bon. – Jessica  

2.14 NEXT ACTION REMINDERS 

Give me SSJ info by 8pm tonight!!

Misc. Fund – to be determined

Bryan let CLF people know the status of what we voted.

Posters and Web Design stuff goes through Kelly James

Marissa – Have Anna email you a Memo about what’s going.  

2.15 MEETING ADJOURNED: 4:42pm