ASC Minutes: 10-22-2012

ASC Minutes: 10-22-2012

Monday, October 22, 2012

9.1 PRAYER: Josh. 

9.2 Committee Updates   

9.3 CALL TO ORDER: 4:36pm

9.4 ROLL CALL: Jessica. All are present including Joel.  

9.5 CLF: Fulton Street House – Brendon Thompson

Proposal: We want to provide a safe environment for various George Fox students to get together and celebrate Halloween in a positive way. In reality the real point of this event is to show that people can have fun at a party who do follow Jesus have just as much as unbelievers. It also shows that you don’t need alcohol to have a good time. People can come and go throughout the evening and eat food, chat, play games, and enjoy one another’s company.

-       There was talk about other people who proposed Halloween parties and he or she doesn’t see it as fair.

-       Well the thing is that the other party was expecting 500 people and there is no way that is going to happen. So that is why it is amended. So I think they have some great ideas.

-       Last year though it was on a Friday.

-       I talked with the people planning the party and I would be fine cutting out funds for decorations.

-       I think 75 pumpkins are a lot for 200 people.

-       It’s $172 of funds for decorations without the pumpkins to be carved.

-       I think this is much more expansive and will be a very big event so it should be funded.

-       If we amend to $300 that’s only about $3 a person.

Motion to Amend: Josh (to lower the amount to $300)

Seconded:  Brandon

Amendment Passes:  7-0-0

Call to Question: Josh

Seconded: Jessica

Motion Passes: 7-0-0

9.6 CLF: Pumpkin Patch – Megan Kays

Proposal: This time will create community between our two floors by celebrating the season at the pumpkin patch and spending time together. It allows the girls to get to know each other in contexts outside of homework and classes and day-to-day activities, and it will help to bridge the gap between the two floors that are farthest apart from each other in HMS. We plan to be intentional about having the girls interact across floors.

-       I think that its valuable because it will be continuous time together

-       Also its up to $300, so if all people do not come that’s ok. 

Call to Question: Jessica

Seconded: Josh

9.7 NBA Game for International Club – David Thurston

Proposal: To provide transportation to the Rose Garden in Portland by reserving an actual school bus (which will seat about 50 people) and paying for a professional driver. The total amount we are applying for is $375.

-       Once they found out that ASC was going to help more people wanted to go and they want help with a bus and a bus driver.

-       This would bring down the Go clubs fund a lot so that there would be $200 left for this semester.

-       I think that we shouldn’t add this much more money to the same event.

-       I think there needs to be a sign-up sheet to see what the money will cover.

-       Anyone can go to these events so they should open it up so they can bond with others who have cars.

-       I think this will cause them to plan better next time for the size of their group.

Call to Question: Margaret 

Motion Fails: 0-7-0

9.8 New DJ Software for KFOX – Josh Jones   

Proposal: We would like to purchase new software checked out by our faculty supervisor

Sarah Gibson. This software will enable us to schedule and play music and shows throughout the day, much like a regular college radio station.

-       Everyone is ok with it?

-       $200 is not a lot for DJ equipment.

-       This is should come from the equipment budget.

-       This will be used for many DJs to come

Call to Question: Marissa

9.9 Brewin’ Grounds Interior Design – Lisa Loperfido 

-       Lisa Loperfido came to discuss interior design changes in the Brewin’ Grounds. There was a discussion amongst her and the central committee.  

Common Ground (time to talk about feedback and paper)

Upcoming Events:

Patrick Allen – Leadership Talk, Wed. 6pm, Lemmons 8

Marissa – Family Weekend