ASC Minutes: 11-12-2012

ASC Minutes: 11-12-2012

 

ASC CENTRAL COMMITTEE MEETING

 

Monday, November 12, 2012

12.1 PRAYER: Margaret Vogt    

12.2 Committee Updates   

12.3 CALL TO ORDER: 3:56pm

12.4 ROLL CALL: All are present including Joel Perez.

NEW BUSINESS

12.5 APF: Passion Conference 2013 – Justin Vanier, Wesley Jones, Michael Nakashimada, and Jake Vanier

Proposal: We are proposing funding for Passion 2013 Conference in Atlanta, Georgia. Passion Conference exists to gather large numbers of college students in one place every year to be equipped for ministry, encouraging one another, and glorifying God. Students across the country and the world gather for worship and prayer, asking for God to use our generation to cause a spiritual awakening in our world today.

Discussion: (Wesley was not present for this discussion.)

-       Outcomes:

  • There is not necessarily a cap “per person” for how much the people from the Academic Pursuit Fund.
  • Consistent voting is important though.
  • Look at things case-by-case, but shouldn’t ignore past decisions.

-       Decisions:

  • Paying for more things like this will encourage others to apply.
  • Need to look at it objectively, and not worry about the “What ifs” or perceived bias.
  • Show what types of events ASC has funded from the Academic Pursuit Fund on the website to encourage more to use the fund for similar pursuits.

-       Actions:

  • Need to set a standard for how to deal with this in the future.
  • Jessica Stanton – work on how applicants can follow up.

Call to Question: B. Kasler   

Seconded: J. Riedel

Motion Passes: 7-0-0

12.6 SPF: Funding for the Purchase of 4 Charging Stations – Wesley Jones      

Proposal: With everything being done digitally on mobile devices, it only makes sense that we provide charging stations. These charging stations can charge up to 8 devices at a time and would be widely used in the heavily traveled parts of campus.

Discussion:

-       Outcomes:

  • This would be a convenience thing for students.
  • Potentially do one as a trial or put it somewhere other than the den to focus on the outlets in the den.

-       Decisions:

  • Don’t need two in the Den.
  • It would be better to have more outlets in the Bruin’s den and put more money towards that.

-       Actions:

  • Toni Snyder: Do a survey to get more of student thoughts on this type of thing.

Call to Question: B. Kasler   

Seconded: J. Riedel

Motion Fails to move on to Student Project Fund Committee: 0-7-0

12.7 Constitutional Amendment: RA Fund – Bryan Kasler 

Proposal: Change to Article V, Section 8.

1. The ASC Central Committee will allocate to the office of Residence Life $3.00 per student, living on campus. This number will be based on at the institutions census date for students living on campus.

2. These funds are to come from the Community Life Fund Account, unless otherwise determined by the ASC Central Committee.

3. Residence Life staff will not have access to the remaining funds in the

Community Life Fund, unless otherwise determined by the ASC Central Committee.

4. The Office of Residence Life will have full authority over the budgeting, allotment and reimbursement of the funds after the transaction is made.

Discussion:

-       Outcomes:

  • We’ll have to amend and then pass.

-       Decisions:

  • Commuter RA’s are not going to be included – only RA’s over students living on campus.

-       Actions:

  • Wesley Jones: This will need to be looked at every semester to make sure it is current.

Call to Amend: T. Snyder (Move to amend that it says “1. The ASC Central Committee will allocate to the office of Residence Life $3.00 per student, living on campus, per semester)

Seconded: J. Riedel

Amendment Passes: 7-0-0

Call to Question: B. Kasler  

Seconded: M. Vogt

Motion Passes: 7-0-0

12.8 Constitutional Amendment: Public Relations Director – Jessica Stanton and Margaret Vogt.

Proposal: Constitutional Amendment for Article XVI and Article XII Section 1.1, 1.2 and 1.3 A-E. After Christmas breaks the Public Relations Committee be moved to ASC

Communications Director Sub Committee.

Discussion:

-       Decisions:

  • It should say Public Relations Director… not committee in Article XII, Section 1.1

-       Actions:

  • We will vote on this now so then Supreme Court will approve at their meeting.

Call to Question: J. Riedel

Seconded: J. Stanton

Motion Passes: 7-0-0

12.9 DISCUSSION

RA Fund Discussion

Margaret Wiki Discussion – Tues. Nov. 20th, 7pm – 8pm

Joel – Theology of Racial and Ethnic Diversity

12.10 NEXT ACTION REMINDERS

Lip Sync! Tonight!

All ASC Meeting – December 8th, 10:30am – 12:00pm, Cap and Gown

Next Monday’s meeting will be at Coffee Cottage – Drink Orders by Friday

12.11 MEETING ADJOURNED: 4:48pm