ASC Minutes: 11-03-2014

ASC CENTRAL COMMITTEE MEETING

 

Monday, November 11, 2014

PRAYER- J. Vanier

COMMITTEE UPDATES

14.1 CALL TO ORDER 4:32PM

14.2 ROLL CALL: All are present including S. St. Cyr, M. Pothoff, 5 current students

14.3 Bruin Statue Conversation

ASC Facts

  • Rob Westervelt proposed an idea of a Bruin Statue
  • Took a week to pray/think about the idea
  • Initially we loved that we don’t have a rally point, we have a clock tower as a center and that’s not a mascot or anything
    • Helped cause it’s by the football field
    • $70k is a big number so we prayed about it, it isn’t current student money it’s from the reserve fund, there was $100k left last year (allocated but not spent)
    •  Long term use
    • Can be used as an avenue for student concerns
    • FoxHole money was locked last year until the end so that’s also where all the money came from

Student Concerns [Main points from students, sub-points from Central Committee Members]

  • Have you thought about assessing placing money into other departments? Giving money to other departments on campus
    • Student fee is less than .5% of what you pay each year in tuition
    • Departments receive the other 95.5%
    • All students are paying this fee so allocating it to just one department isn’t affecting all students
    • Reserve Fund
      • Still student money, it’s the surplus of ASC money
      • What do you see the role of the Student Fee being?
        • Every year the budget gets allocated differently
        • The other question is how can we benefit students this year?
        • There’s a lot of things available to students, they don’t use the fund to it’s full potential
          • It’s ASC’s job to make themselves known as a resources
  • Providing things outside of academics to create a college experience
  • ASC Mission Statement
    • ASC’s mission is to foster a christ-centered community where students are known by providing a place to belong, creating shared experiences and empowering the student voice
    • Where does the Bear fit into the mission statement?
      • Shared Experiences
        • See this as something that will be around forever
        • Students from each generation rallying at this bear
        • United around a shared spot on campus
        • A symbol of the students
        • Understand appeal of the bear, frustration that student’s are feeling that future students are being prioritized over current students
        • Talking to most students, there are real and present needs on campus. Students haven’t come to ASC about these issues, but there are other pressing things besides a statue
        • This particular project doesn’t fit requirement of ASC, and students see this money being a very large sum
        • Prioritizing bringing people to Fox instead of helping current students
        • Isn’t going to help current student experience
        • Case by case, there are a lot of things students wouldn’t care to have done on campus that ASC pays for            
          • Clock tower same scenario
          • Building projects, this $70k isn’t a lot of money
          • This funding isn’t coming out of current funds because we didn’t want this building structure to come out of this current year student’s experience
          • ASC isn’t very known for in the things they pay for such as free access to the pool, newspapers etc.
          • ASC By-Laws, does it say anything about how to spend the Reserve Fund?
          • There should be something in place for guidelines that allows ASC to spend the Reserve Fund
            • We’re doing ASC to get voice of what students want now
            • The statue and current avocation isn’t mutually exclusive
            • Let’s have dialogue about how to care about their money and where it’s going
            • Let’s open up the budget and how it’s been done in the past
            • Biggest complaint and source of frustration is not knowing about the project until October and it was being build in August
            • In the minutes for the August meeting, ASC was going to talk to students about the project, but they never did
              • If it’s an issue of the bear or the money?
              • I think some people are having some issues with the changing culture of Fox and their frustrations with that
              • Students are confused on why this statue took priority when there’s so many other issues, like lighting on campus
              • There is a frustration with not getting as much as students voice
              • If Marketing & Communications department took a hold of the project, it might be more understandable because it markets the Bruin
              • Why aren’t students informed about this project?
                • Central Committee got caught up in life
                • Got excited because it could be done by graduation if we moved forward completely
                • It was a Central Committee mess up because they didn’t talk to Central
                • Next Wednesday a town hall meeting will be held
                • Go out to students, continually remind students and push and let them know how they can be changing things on campus
                • Leave 3 students
                • Tie to football is negative, so statue will be something in the far future
                • Statue would be tied to athletics, not ASC- so it’s not something ASC should be dealing with
                  • A lot of things students are provided connect things with ASC
                  • Overwhelming opinion of students is negative
                    • Anything we do with the students who have been here before football, is against that sort of statue
                    • There’s a negative view on football and ASC has to fight that continually
                    • The issue is not the concept, but the manner that it has been carried out until this point
                    • Having a rallying point that you can take pictures with and everything is genius. Struggling to see why ASC should be paying for this statue. It is more of a marketing ploy; something they’ll rant about and admissions will show on tours etc.
                    • Mechanically coming from ASC does not make sense
                    • GFU is going through a huge shift, This change of culture is a bad time to have a statue being build, feels like ASC is behind this negative shift
                    • Especially because ASC has special student representation that affects students
                    • Think it’s possible to create a rallying point for much less than $70k
                    • The way that this project has been handled and lack of representation, it would be extremely negative if this project was to keep progressing
                    • We have amazing art students on campus that could create something
                    • Would much rather have MarComm do it, if it has to happen
                    • ASC has a negative stereotype, general student body would appreciate ASC stepping back because that would mean they care about student’s opinion
                      • If students saw a price tag on everything, they would probably hate ASC as well
                      • Stupid for ASC Reserves to just sit there
                      • Trying to spend that money wisely is very hard
                      • Changes on campus the next three center, we don’t know our financial obligations yet for those future projects
                      • New dining hall, bridge, and dorm that will be built starting January
                      • How much of that $405k do we need to spend or keep?
                      • Future buildings are more tangible benefits for future students
                        • GFU is known, things are growing and reaching out
                        • Football is helpful because a lot more people know about Fox
                        • When we graduate, people know what Fox is and it will help people get better jobs
                        • Fox will be known through the statue, will help put Fox on the map
                        • Our culture pays attention to big things, like football and statues. Not honors programs
                        • When ASC takes on the bear, it gives more of an opportunity for students to own the project, if MarComm took on the project, it would take on a “school property” feel- which just like football students didn’t very much own
                        • Talking to students, they don’t even want to own it
                        • Overwhelming majority that the statue shouldn’t be built
                          • So the school should own it if it’s been built
                          • Literally no one is thinking this is something students want to own, and only heard advocacy from Central Committee, and that speaks volume
                            • I don’t think you’ll see a positive view ever if you go up to students saying we’re building a $70k statue
                            • Anytime you put a price tag on it, there will be major pushback
                            • In finding out student opinion, it has come from an unbiased position in representing the purpose of the bear
                              • Central Committee can’t cancel the project unless we have fully evaluated the entire student body
                              • Town hall meeting will be informative
                              • Town Hall meeting is a great idea, from there I guess ASC can reevaluate. But even after this conversation M. Kriz is still opposed to the statue
                              • Enter another student
                                • Central Committee is owning up to not presenting the idea very well at all
                                • Campus Reps were the ones that really spread the word
                                • Affirm Central Committee member in this meeting and allowing this conversation
                                • Thank you for listening to students, we will spread the word about a Town Hall meeting
                                • What is part of Town Hall? Debate or informative?
                                  • Informative about all of ASC and what it provides
                                  • Because of timing it will probably be very negative because of the statue, but it will hopefully open up some good discussion
                                  • Central Committee is here for student advocating, your opinions have a positive impact on our team

Letter from Campus Representatives

Voice from M. Pothoff

  • Good job getting students to speak up and care about issues, pull those people into future conversations about ASC
  • Has individual opinions about the statue, it is a large amount of money
  • What will ASC’s role in the future building projects? With the dorm, bridge, sub etc.
  •  1/6 of reserve fund is a big chunk
  • Did a good job listening to complaints and framed out the town hall meeting

Town Hall Meeting

  • Pass out Bruin Guides
  • Be very personable
  • People will already come in on the defense, it needs to be very personable
  • Mission statement, reps, Presentation from each member about what’s happening and what’s to come

14.4 Student Organizations: New Student Organization Proposal: M. Tarpley

Proposal: Officiate Bruin Ultimate as new club

Discussion:

-       Outcomes

  • A big group of people have already been playing every week
  • Becoming a club will give them a chance to get jersey’s and that sort of thing

-       Decisions

  • There is a difference between ultimate Frisbee club and disc golf club

-       Actions

Call to Question: T. Rene

Seconded: J. Nuzum

Motion Passes: 5-0-0

 

 

14.5 Student Organizations: New Student Organization Proposal: M. Tarpley

Proposal: Officiate Society of Women Engineers as a new club

Discussion:

-       Outcomes

  • We don’t have all the paperwork we will need

-       Decisions

-       Actions

  • Electronic vote will resume this voting

Call to Table: T. Rene

Seconded: J. Nuzum

Motion to table passes: 5-0-0

14.6 Student Organizations: Budget: M. Tarpley

Proposal: Budget of Amnesty International

Discussion:

-       Outcomes

  • Didn’t do what we asked
  • There is no budget breakdown
  • Removed request for travel funds
  • Weren’t clear on what they should review

-       Decisions

-       Actions

Call to Question: T. Rene

Seconded: M. Martinez

Motion Failed: 5-0-0

14.7 Community Life Fund: Proposal: M. Martinez

Proposal: $420 for 42 students to have a Thanksgiving dinner

Discussion:

-       Outcomes

-       Decisions

  • Why couldn’t they do this on their own for a lot cheaper?
  • Is the Bon doing the thanksgiving night? Then it will be less expensive
  • It is within the $10/person but we should be more wise

-       Actions

Call to Question: T. Rene

Seconded: M. Kimmer

Motion Passes: 4-0-1

14.8 Community Life Fund: Proposal: M. Martinez

Proposal: $440 for 44 people to go ice-skating for a roomies event

Discussion:

-       Outcomes

-       Decisions

  • This is awesome!

-       Actions

Call to Question: M. Tarpley

Seconded: J. Nuzum

Motion Passes: 5-0-0

14.9 Community Life Fund: Proposal: M. Martinez

Proposal: $225 for 10-15 boxes for Operation Christmas Child

Discussion:

-       Outcomes

  • Should come out of Social Responsibility Fund

-       Decisions

  • Do we know if SPIL is doing this?

-       Actions

  • Check in with SPIL first

Call to Table: T. Rene

Seconded: M. Tarpley

Motion to Table Passes: 5-0-0

14.10 Community Life Fund: Proposal: M. Martinez

Proposal: $275 for 50 students for suggested food through Bruin Den

Discussion:

-       Outcomes

-       Decisions

  • Gift card in proposal, reps can discuss
  • Because it’s through the Bruin Den, it’s a weird because we’re paying in and we’re also paying for this food. We’re probably paying a time and a little if we’re thinking right.

-       Actions

  • Reps will discuss gift card

Call to Question: J. Nuzum

Seconded:T. Rene

Motion Passes: 3-1-1

 

14.11 MEETING ADJOURNED: 6:54 PM