George Fox Journal Guidelines
The George Fox Journal is a relationship-building platform for alumni, students, parents and other friends of George Fox University. The goal of the magazine is to inform, engage and inspire its readership by presenting feature stories and news that represent the best of the university community.
The quality of the magazine should reflect the quality of the institution itself. A publication that is strong in originality, writing and visual presentation is likely to be well-read, passed on and kept on the shelf.
By maintaining the interest and respect of its readers, the Journal aspires to improve its readers' opinions of George Fox and ultimately to strengthen their commitment to its welfare.
General Content Guidelines
- The Journal emphasizes readability. Story and article content, to the extent possible, are developed with the reader's point of view and interests in mind. Example: Readers are more likely to be drawn into an article focusing on the stories behind the events and people at the university than on a report-style article on the schools, departments or programs themselves.
- Article subjects are linked with the university but may also have broad interest and appeal.
- The magazine is intended to be an interactive publication. Input and feedback from its readership are encouraged.
Roles of Participants
The following individuals help the editor develop story ideas, assist in decisions regarding content and balance, and review completed proofs of Journal prior to publication.
- Executive Vice President, Enrollment and Marketing
- Director of Marketing Communications
- Director of Alumni & Parent Relations
- University Art Director
- University Copy Editor
- Other faculty and staff as needed
Readers are encouraged to contact the university’s alumni relations department (503-554-2134 or firstname.lastname@example.org) with updates on marriages, births, and any other noteworthy accomplishments in the workplace or at home. These updates may be included in the “Alumni Connections” section of the Journal. Readers may also contact the editor (503-554-2135 or email@example.com) with comments or suggestions.
Prior to each issue, the editor will establish and distribute a list of deadlines for future publication dates.
The Journal currently is a 32-page magazine.
The magazine publishes three times a year.
Recurring Features or Columns
The magazine includes the following recurring features within its format:
- Message From the President
- Bruin Notes (George Fox news, including sports)
- Three or more features
- Alumni Connections (alumni news and updates)
- What's Bruin (event calendar)
The Associated Press Stylebook and the university's style guide are the primary reference tools for editing.
Text, photographs and artwork may not be reprinted without written permission from the editor. For inquiries on reprints, please contact us via e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 503-554-2135.
Place a line at the bottom of the reprinted article stating: "This article is reprinted with permission from the George Fox Journal, a publication of George Fox University in Newberg, Ore."