George Fox Journal Guidelines
The George Fox Journal is a relationship-building platform for alumni, students, parents, and other friends of George Fox University. The goal of the magazine is to inform, engage, and inspire its readership by presenting an intimate and honest portrait of George Fox, including its understanding and participation in our world's concerns.
The quality of the magazine should reflect the quality of the institution itself. A publication that is strong in originality, writing, and visual presentation is likely to be well-read, passed on, and kept on the shelf.
By maintaining the interest and respect of its readers, the Journal aspires to improve its readers' opinions of George Fox and ultimately to strengthen their commitment to its welfare.
General Content Guidelines
- The Journal emphasizes readability. Story and article content, to the extent possible, are developed with the reader's point of view and interests in mind. Example: Readers are more likely to be drawn into an article focusing on the stories behind the events and people at the university than on a report-style article on the schools, departments, or programs themselves.
- Article subjects are linked with the university but should have broad interest and appeal.
- The magazine is intended to be an interactive publication. Input and feedback from its readership are encouraged.
Roles of Participants
The advisory council helps establish the direction and fundamental policies that will benefit the university through the publication. The council assists in developing story ideas for the magazine and helps guide decisions regarding content and balance.
The board meets four months prior to each publication date (see Frequency). Members include the following:
- Vice President of Marketing Communications
- Director of Brand Management
- Director of Strategic Information
- Vice President of Development
- Executive Director of University Relations
- Director of Alumni Relations
- Magazine Editor of George Fox Journal
Readers are able to contact the editor and writers via phone, e-mail, or postal mail. Contact information is publicized to encourage comments and suggestions from readers.
In addition, each issue contains a "Tell Us More" section, inviting readers to respond to George Fox photos, and a form alumni can fill out to send with news of themselves.
Once a year, the editor will establish and distribute a list of deadlines for future publication dates.
The Journal currently is a four-color, 32-page magazine.
The magazine publishes three times a year: in March, June and November.
Recurring Features or Columns
The magazine includes the following recurring features within its format:
- Readers Forum
- Message From the President
- Bruin Notes (George Fox news, including sports)
- Alumni Connections
- Point of View
- Three Features
- What's Bruin (event calendar)
- Tell Us More (George Fox photo response)
The Associated Press Stylebook and the university's style guide are the primary reference tools for editing.
Text, photographs and artwork may not be reprinted without written permission from the editor. For inquiries on reprints, please contact us via e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 503-554-2126.
Place a line at the bottom of the reprinted article stating: "This article is reprinted with permission from the George Fox Journal, a publication of George Fox University in Newberg, Ore."