OPENING DATE: November 28, 2016
EMPLOYMENT PERIOD: Full Time, 12 Months
START DATE: July 1, 2017
ABOUT GEORGE FOX UNIVERSITY ATHLETICS:
Our Vision: To be the team to beat in NCAA Division III sports with the most formative athletic experience in the country.
Our Mission: To provide a competitive experience that breeds athletic excellence, academic success and Christ-like character.
Our Values: Christ-centered community, high respect for the sport, relentless pursuit of excellence, integrity in all things, self-discipline for success, total commitment to team.
As Oregon's premier Christian university, George Fox offers a wide variety of opportunities to serve in a Christian community that delivers the promise that each student will Be Known - personally, academically and spiritually. In athletics, our mission is to take the student athlete and foster them in a competitive environment so that when they leave campus they are high achievers who expect excellence in all they do. Through athletics, young men and women learn essential life skills that prepare them to be Christ followers and world changers.
The Athletic Director is responsible for the development, management, coordination, and supervision of a competitive intercollegiate athletics program with 19 programs, 16 Head Coaches, over 40 Assistant Coaches, and more than 500 student athletes. The ideal candidate will provide creative and strategic leadership in a collaborative and nurturing environment of work and learning.
- Recruit and develop coaches who will effectively mentor students and develop championship level programs.
- Hire, mentor, supervise, and provide professional growth opportunities for coaches, staff and administrative personnel.
- Articulate the vision of the George Fox University athletic program in ways that align with the “Be Known” vision of the University.
- Model a highly relational Christian witness to the students and employees of the University.
- Maintain and grow the department’s community involvement, strategic partnerships, and service initiatives.
- Work with Sports Marketing to develop comprehensive marketing and promotion programs, including social media.
- Focus on improving the fan experience.
- Be the visible and approachable face of the University’s intercollegiate athletics program to the public, the media, University faculty and staff, alumni, students, season ticket holders, Terrace Club members, other supporters of the University and more broadly, the Northwest Conference and NCAA institutions, colleagues, and partners.
- Shepherd the athletic department’s resources to ensure the effectiveness, efficiency, and fiscal integrity of the department.
- In collaboration with the Faculty Athletic Representative, Academic Affairs Office, and coaches, take responsibility for the University’s commitment to academic excellence, academic integrity, and the retention and graduation of student athletes.
- Together with the Faculty Athletic Representatives, ensure institutional control of the athletics program and the department’s compliance with NCAA, Northwest Conference, and University rules and regulations.
- Plan and lead the department’s development and fundraising efforts in collaboration with the University Advancement department.
- Provide oversight and leadership in the design and implementation of the department’s public and media relations, promotions, revenue generation, and marketing plans and strategies.
- In collaboration with the Office of Student Life and other campus units, promote the active engagement of student athletes within the University community to enrich student life both on campus and at the University’s athletic events.
- Plan and lead the management and maintenance of the University’s athletic facilities. Collaborate regarding the construction of new athletic facilities.
- Establish professional relationships and strategic partnerships with key national and regional partners, including (but not limited to) Nike, EastBay, and others.
- Maintain relationships with student athlete alumni, encouraging their involvement in the program after graduation.
- Engage and update each team’s fundraising constituents.
- Communicate effectively and courteously with others, including employees, students and the public, in a spirit of teamwork, respect and customer service.
George Fox University seeks an Athletic Director with integrity, vision, collaborative skills, and a commitment to higher education and student-athlete welfare. The candidate should present the following qualifications:
- Record of successful executive-level, strategic leadership within higher education, intercollegiate athletics, and/or a public or private organization.
- Past record of recruiting, hiring, and retaining successful coaches and staff.
- Ability to collaborate and form strategic partnerships with a diverse array of constituencies external and internal to the University community in order to leverage opportunities for growth and advancement.
- Record of collaborative and ethical decision making within a fast-paced and competitive environment.
- Strong commitment to diversity and inclusion, gender equity and Title IX compliance, and the principles and bylaws of the NCAA and the Northwest Conference.
- Demonstrated ability to secure funds for capital projects, program and facility improvements, and overall departmental enhancements.
- Team builder with excellent interpersonal skills and a high level of integrity.
- Ability to serve as the primary spokesperson for the Athletic program, promoting the philosophy and values of the program.
- Proven track record of successfully creating and maintaining strong constituent relationships.
- Strong work ethic; excellent listening skills; great attention to detail; able to make tough decisions, handle criticism, debate, and seek out feedback; and strong negotiation skills.
- Evangelical Christian commitment and lifestyle consistent with the university’s mission as described on our website.
- Candidates should value an environment that reflects the diversity of God’s kingdom, engages in global concerns, and connects culturally.
EDUCATION: Bachelor's degree required, with a preference for advanced degree.
COMPETITIVE BENEFITS: Vacation; sick leave; holidays; medical, dental, life, disability insurance; retirement plan; and tuition remission.
SALARY: Commensurate with experience
REPORTS TO: Executive Vice President and Chief Operating Officer
TO APPLY: Submit a George Fox University application, resume, and a letter of interest to:
Office of Human Resources
George Fox University
414 N. Meridian Street, No. 6108
Newberg, OR 97132
You may fax your information to 503-554-2186 or scan and send to firstname.lastname@example.org. A letter of interest and resume must be accompanied by a signed application.
A link to our application can be found at:http://www.georgefox.edu/offices/hr/staff.html. It is in fill-able format. However, it must be printed to initial and sign it.
The University reserves the right to fill the position as circumstances warrant.