Director of IDEA Center – Career and Academic Planning
OPENING DATE: October 14, 2016
EMPLOYMENT PERIOD: Full-time, 12 Months
START DATE: January 9, 2017
ABOUT GEORGE FOX UNIVERSITY:
Our Vision: To be the Christian university of choice known for empowering students to achieve exceptional life outcomes.
Our Mission: To prepare students spiritually, academically and professionally to think with clarity, act with integrity and serve with passion.
Our Values: Students first. Christ in everything. Innovation to improve outcomes.
As Oregon's premier Christian university, George Fox offers a wide variety of opportunities to serve in a Christian community that delivers the promise that each student will Be Known - personally, academically and spiritually.
POSITION OVERVIEW: Acting as a catalyst for students to effectively prepare and navigate the path to success in their chosen career field, the IDEA Center provides the preeminent academic and career coaching focused on helping students strategically plan and complete both their formal academic efforts and their internship/field experiences in ways that maximize their career outcomes. The Director of IDEA Center - Career and Academic Planning must be an engaging, natural strategic leader who is dedicated and passionate about higher education, career development and keenly aware of today’s current corporate and non-profit marketplace.
- Using today’s ever changing market trends, assessments, and emerging best practices; grow and advance the current strategic roadmap for the university’s IDEA (Initiate, Discover, Engage, Achieve) Center, equipping students to successfully transition into today’s workforce.
- Lead a talented team that provide high caliber academic coaching, career guidance, information and preparation, and critical employment skills to our students, partnering with them from enrollment to graduation.
- In collaboration with our Alumni and Parent Relations Offices, increase alumni involvement in preparing students for their job search, educating them about industries and career paths, and expanding internship and career opportunities through their organizations.
- Expand the relationships with academic departments and external communities such that student experiential learning and job opportunities improve; and participation in high quality internships and field experiences increases.
- Represent George Fox in statewide collaborations (e.g., Oregon College Talent Consortium, Oregon Talent Council, Technology Association of Oregon, Portland Business Alliance, etc.) that influence and work within college graduate hiring pipelines.
- Communicate effectively and courteously with others, including employees, students and the public, in a spirit of teamwork, respect and customer service.
- By actions, words and lifestyle, be a Christian role model to students, whether through casual contact or in a formal advisory role.
- A Bachelor’s degree is required (Master’s degree preferred).
- Proven success working in a fast paced environment demonstrating enthusiasm for promoting the academic success and career development of students, as well as experience initiating and maintaining collaborative relationships and alliances with campus stakeholders (such as academic deans, Registrar, University Advancement, and Alumni Relations) to develop new community partnerships for potential internship and job opportunities.
- Strong, forward-thinking, creative, innovative, results-oriented leadership skills. Excellent critical thinking and demonstrated ability to execute effectively.
- Experience with organizational strategic planning, assessment and data-informed decision-making. Ability to establish a vision, goals and metrics for success and ability to design programs, services and initiatives that meet stakeholder needs. Must be self-directed, outcome oriented, and able and willing to work under pressure.
- Management experience that demonstrates successful development and motivation of a team to reach and exceed student-oriented goals.
- A successful track record of employer outreach; (e.g., experience in corporate recruiting/business development, company recruiting, corporate relations, or senior human resources).
- Strong interpersonal, collaborative, skills resulting in effective relationships with students and faculty. Must possess excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Comprehensive knowledge of current practices in career development and employment trends, marketing strategies, integration of career development and recruiting technologies, and general career-services technology.
- Evangelical Christian commitment and lifestyle consistent with the university’s mission as described on our website.
- Candidates should value an environment that reflects the diversity of God’s kingdom, engages in global concerns, and connects culturally.
STARTING SALARY: Commensurate with experience.
COMPETITIVE BENEFITS: Vacation; sick leave; holidays; medical, dental, life, disability insurance; retirement plan; and tuition remission.
REPORTS TO: Director of Health and Counseling
TO APPLY: Submit a George Fox University application application, resume, and letter of interest to:
Office of Human Resources
George Fox University
414 N Meridian St, Box 6108
Newberg, OR 97132
You may scan and submit your information via e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org or fax to 503-554-2186. A resume will not be accepted unless it is accompanied by a signed George Fox University application.
A link to our application can be found at: http://www.georgefox.edu/offices/hr/admin.html. It is in fill-able format. However, it must be printed to initial and sign it.
The University reserves the right to fill the position as circumstances warrant.