Director of Office of Student Success
OPENING DATE: July 15, 2013
EMPLOYMENT PERIOD: Full time, 12 months
START DATE: September 15, 2013
George Fox University seeks a creative, dynamic, assertive and collaborative individual to provide visionary leadership to the new Office of Student Success (OSS) combining the functions of Career Services, Learning Support Services, and Enrollment Services (academic advising). This new position has an important and exciting opportunity to create a vision for the future that maximizes the existing strengths of these offices while creating a synergy that results in a seamless student experience promoting academic and professional success. The Director also serves as the senior career service professional and will develop and implement strategies in support of positive career outcomes for students and graduates of the university.
The ideal candidate will possess excellent management, organizational, administrative and counseling skills and the interpersonal acumen necessary to inspire and work effectively with the diversity of GFU constituents, including students, faculty, alumni, and employers. Candidates must have a highly sophisticated understanding of the changing landscape of employment while broadening opportunities for graduating students.
Reporting to the Dean of Student Services and supervising four professionals, one administrative staff, and graduate and undergraduate student interns, the Director will oversee all aspects of career services, learning support services, including the Academic Resource Center, disability services and First Year Seminar, as well as the undergraduate enrollment counselors providing academic advising and some undergraduate enrollment (registrar) functions.
While prior career services experience is preferred, it is not required. We are looking for someone with a demonstrated ability to successfully lead a team towards new and innovative goals. A positive attitude, an ability to push through barriers, and skills in creative problem-solving are key requirements to this work. If you want a position leading one of the university’s top strategic initiatives, and have a passion for seeing students achieve their academic and career goals, then we would like to see your resume.
- Responsible for long-term program planning, program development, service delivery and assessment, budget and fiscal management, personnel management, and other management functions for the OSS.
- Specifically related to Career Services, expand employer outreach by collaboratively (with faculty) cultivating and fostering relationships with business and corporate stakeholders in order to expand internship and career opportunities for university students, forge collaborative partnerships with faculty and senior university administrators to ensure that service planning and delivery are aligned with campus and university goals, and oversee the career development and counseling programs to provide high-quality professional development services to the university’s undergraduate students.
- Master’s degree required.
- Strong, forward-thinking, creative, innovative, results-oriented leadership skills. Experience with organizational and strategic planning. Must be self-directed, outcome oriented, and able and willing to work under pressure. Management experience that demonstrates successful development and motivation of a team to reach and exceed student-oriented goals. Excellent critical thinking and demonstrated ability to execute effectively.
- Successful track record of employer outreach; experience in corporate recruiting/business development, company recruiting, corporate relations, or senior human resources preferred.
- Experience initiating and maintaining collaborative relationships and alliances with various stakeholders (such as students, academic deans, faculty, Registrar, University Advancement, and Alumni Relations) to develop new community partnerships for potential internship and job opportunities. Strong interpersonal, collaborative, and excellent written and oral communications skills and ability to build effective relationships.
- Proven success in working in a fast paced environment demonstrating an enthusiasm for promoting the academic success and career development of students.
- Evangelical Christian commitment and lifestyle consistent with the university’s mission as described on our website. Candidates should value an environment that reflects the diversity of God’s kingdom, engages in global concerns, and connects culturally.
- Proficiency with MS Word and Excel. Demonstrated ability to master Internet-based recruiting programs and learn new technologies.
COMPENSATION: Competitive salary (depending on experience) Benefits: Vacation; sick leave; holidays; health, dental, life, disability insurance; retirement plan and tuition remission.
REPORTS TO: Dean of Student Services