Director of University Events
OPENING DATE: December 5, 2013
WORK SCHEDULE: Full time, 12 months
START DATE: As soon as possible
This person will have opportunity to increase the university’s impact and identity with donors and other constituents by working with the President and his leadership team to strategically plan and execute impressive high-profile events.
- Provide leadership and professional expertise in the planning and execution of high-quality events and functions that reflect university-wide priorities. This includes oversight of program development (such as order of presenters) printed program content, etc. Examples include Sports Hall of Fame ceremony, graduation ceremonies, football games, student-athlete commitment day, high-profile fundraising events and VIP campus tours.
- Plan collaboratively with president’s leadership team, director of marketing communications, and others to create an annual calendar of special events to maximize impact and benefits in critical areas of donor stewardship and recognition, community relations, alumni relations, etc.
- Develop and maintain highly professional standards and procedures in the production of events in keeping with the image and reputation of George Fox University. Serve as central campus resource for matters of university protocol (e.g., event format, image projection, and etiquette to be observed).
- Serve as the representative of the president or vice president in the execution of events for which they are hosts, or when their involvement is expected; interface with other campus units to manage events on their behalf.
- Prepare pre- and post-event analysis, assess opportunities, and make recommendations for improvements in meeting each event’s purpose; implement improvements as appropriate.
- Oversee the online campus events calendar, providing updates and event information.
- Prepare year-end events report, providing analysis and recommendations for future actions and improvements.
- Supervise event services staff by providing oversight and assistance in Newberg and Portland facility scheduling, rentals, and provision of equipment and food service. Ensure exceptional customer service that improves the university’s reputation.
- Work with admissions and marketing communications staff to market and ensure that facility usage by outside groups builds awareness of the university’s academic offerings, increases the university’s brand equity and leads to response. Recommend facility pricing based on market and strategic goals.
- Bachelor’s degree required.
- Minimum of 3 years experience planning and producing successful events; leadership/supervision experience also required.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Strong teamwork and interpersonal skills, including ability to work with a variety of people across departments and at all levels.
- Excellent organization skills and detail orientation.
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment, manage multiple events simultaneously, and meet deadlines.
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Office and Internet navigation.
- Familiarity with event software preferred.
- Ability to occasionally transport up to 40 pounds.
- Evangelical Christian commitment and lifestyle consistent with the university’s mission as described on our website.
- Candidates should value an environment that reflects the diversity of God’s kingdom, engages in global concerns, and connects culturally.
COMPENSATION: Commensurate with experience and qualifications.
Competitive benefits: Vacation; sick leave; holidays; medical, dental, life, disability insurance; retirement plan; and tuition remission.