JOB OUTLOOK: The Skills and Qualities Employers Want
- Begin networking with professionals in the industry (Informational Interviewing, Professional Associations, LinkedIn, etc.)
- Initiate contact directly with target companies (website, career fairs, etc.)
- Identify appropriate search engines to access current openings online.
- Update materials for each job, and apply as quickly as possible.
- Articulate how your skills, interests, values, and personality align with the requirments of the position and culture of the company.
- Provide specific and concrete examples through storytelling to demonstrate your qualifications.
- Be clear, concise, and confident in your communications. Be specific and action-oriented in your requests.
- Monitor your nonverbal communication to convey interest and engagement. Smile and offer a firm, professional handshaking with direct eye contact.
- Send a Thank You note or email within 24 hours
- Maintain contact through positive interactions