Student Computer Checklist
Welcome to GFU
This page is intended to guide our students through configuring their computers for use in their studies. We encourage our new students to work through this list before Orientation. IT help will be available at Newberg and Portland Orientations to connect your laptop to the wireless network(s) and to assist with any items on this list as needed. If you need assistance, we welcome your call or email at our Service Desk.
For all computers:
- Download and install the Mozilla Firefox web browser from http://www.mozilla.com/. We have found that many of our students can get around problems with a web page by switching to a second web browser.
- Install both Flash and Shockwave from http://www.adobe.com/. These little programs can help you access media resources you may encounter during your studies.
For those using Microsoft Office 2003 or 2004:
- Download and install Microsoft's file converters so you can open newer Office documents sent to you by professors or classmates.
For Windows computers:
- Make sure you are running and updating a good antivirus program. If you don't have one buy one and install it. We suggest Microsoft Security Essentials, which is free from Microsoft. If you are already running an antivirus program but want to upgrade we strongly suggest you uninstall your current antivirus program before installing the new one.
- Install both QuickTime and iTunes from www.apple.com/quicktime. QuickTime will give you access to commonly used media files, and iTunes will allow you to access iTunesU for university media content.
- Install Acrobat Reader from http://www.adobe.com/. If you have an earlier version of the software please make sure you are updated to at least Reader 8 (10 is the current version).
For Apple OS computers:
- Make sure you are running and updating a good antivirus program. If you don't have one buy one and install it. We'd suggest Sophos (look under "Free Tools"). If you are already running an antivirus program but want to upgrade we strongly suggest you uninstall your current antivirus program before installing the new one.
Again, if you have any questions or problems along the way please do contact our Service Desk by phone or email