If you find a declination of performance in your computer or you seem to be running low on memory, you may want to Defragment your computer (PC only, Macintosh computers have no need to defragment).
Defragmenting finds pieces of files and regroups them in a more organized fashion, allowing your computer a better chance at locating them quicker and easier.
To Defragment your computer, click on the StartMenu -> Programs -> Accessories -> System Tools -> Disk Defragmenter
Once the Disk Defragment Screen has shown up,
- Click the analyze button and the program will run and see if you need to defragment your computer.
- If you need to defragment your computer, you should do so at that point.
- All other programs should be closed and defragmenting should be done if you have no imminent need for your computer.
- Defragmenting can take from 5-40 minutes or more depending on your RAM, total files, and various other factors.
- If it says you have no need to defragment you still can if you wish and it will maximize your running time and memory, although it is not entirely necessary.