Google Apps For George Fox Core Suite
Google Apps for George Fox is a free suite of cloud-hosted collaboration applications exclusively for schools and
universities. It is a collaborative workspace using Google Apps that allows users to share documents, create and
manage project/team calendars, create websites hosted by Google, send email, and organize information. This service
is provided under a University contract with google that provides data privacy and security protections and
exemption from sales and maketing activities and beginning with the graduating class of 2014, students will keep their Google Apps account indefinitely.
Google Apps for George Fox is an important component of a campus-wide strategy to
provide tools for collaboration and communication within and outside the University.
The core suite of Google Apps For George Fox services is:
- Gmail - Web-based email with a 30 GB storage limit (combined with Drive storage)
- Contacts - Online address book
- Calendar - Online calendar to organize your schedule and share events with colleagues
- Drive - Online storage (Cloud) for your files as well as management of your Google document, spreadsheet, presentation, forms, and drawing files; people can store computer files, create files, share information, and work collaboratively. You'll need to be logged in to your George Fox account in order to properly share Google Docs.
- Groups - An e-mail and discussion group (formerly listserv)
- Sites - Online application for creating a website collaboratively
- Google Plus - is a full featured social networking area that shows up on your email page as You+
- Google Hangout is a popular video conferencing app available under Google+.
A convenient way to access George Fox Google Apps with your web browser is go to mail.google.com. Google has a single sign in that gives you access to all your Google Apps at once. Sign in with your full George Fox email address and your George Fox password. Links to other GFU Google services are located at the top right of your screen in the apps grid.
Each of these services in the core suite is branded with the George Fox logo, and IT supports these services.
Transitioning in or out of George Fox University? Please click on the Leaving George Fox link at the left.
Consumer Level Services
For your convenience, you can access additional consumer level services.
While you can use Gmail and Calendar in third-party clients, IT recommends that you use them in the native web environment for the full set of features. If you would like to use your Gmail and Calendar with Outlook (Windows only), Mail and iCal (Mac OS X), iOS devices (iPhone/iPad), or Android devices, please refer to these provided setup guides.
Subscribe to TechTips Group
Receive in your email, Updates, Hints and Tips relevant to George Fox University supported software including: Microsoft Office; Windows 7; Google Apps; Keynote and Powerpoint; Apple OS; iOS features and more related to George Fox systems. Subscribe Here
Share your Hints and Tips or ask a question by using our submission form (requires your George Fox login)
For additional help, please visit the following links.