Google E-Mail Troubleshooting
How to Connect
There are several ways to connect to Google E-Mail:
- Through a web browser, can be checked from anywhere with an Internet connection. Go to mail.georgefox.edu
- Through the Corporate mode/Exchange server (Outlook). Provides the most features and immediate notification when a new message is delivered. Note: This is only available on the administrative network on campus.
- Through IMAP or POP3, allows you to send/receive at the next connection or to use a specific e-mail client (such as Mail or Eudora).
- Google E-Mail login id's are created by the following rules. If a name is already taken then the next rule will be applied until a valid username is found.
- Using an existing MyGFU username (if one exists).
- (dswanson03) first initial + last name (up to 13 characters) + academic year (2 digit)
- (swansond03) last name (up to 13 characters) + first initial + academic year (2 digit)
- (dans03) first name (up to 13 characters) + last initial + academic year (2 digit)
- (d1swanson03) first initial + next number (1 digit) + last name (up to 12 characters) + academic year (2 digit)
- If you are asked for a domain, use campus in all lower-case letters.
- If you have forgotten or never received your password, give a Call to the IT service desk at #2569 on campus or (503) 554-2569 for those off campus.
Help! I can't login.
- Double check that you correctly typed in your username and password.
- Make sure that caps lock is not enabled. Your username and password are case sensitive.
How do I get a Google E-Mail account set up?
- Students: Student accounts are created based upon the "confirm" flag set by the Registrar. If a student has not confirmed with the registrar, their e-mail account will not be created until they do.
- Employees: Employee accounts are created on notification from Human Resources. If the account is not already set up upon arrival, the employee's supervisor should contact the Service Desk.
Additional E-mail Policy - on spam, attachments, mail expiration, broadcast messages, return addresses, and more.