Hardware Purchasing Policy
Computer Rotation Plans
Faculty and staff technology rotation plans cover the majority of University purchases of computers and peripherals.
Any purchase made outside of a rotation plan requires the pre-approval of the Director of Academic Computing. Purchases of software and supplies are not included in the above policy. Although departments have authority to buy any software, support of software (including installation, operation, troubleshooting, and connectivity to network and printing)
may be limited.
1. Hardware Purchases Outside of Rotation Plan
- Before submitting a request to purchase computers and peripherals contact the Director of Academic Computing. The agent can assist you in purchasing technology that will meet your needs and budget.
- You and/or the Director of Academic Computing will then write up a Purchase Order with your specifications and a final price.
- The Director of Academic Computing forwards the purchase order to Financial Affairs for approval. Financial Affairs will not approve hardware purchases without the approval of the Director of Academic Computing.
- Once approved by the Director of Academic Computing and Financial Affairs you are free to purchase the hardware through the University or from an outside source as needed.
2. Software Purchases
Software purchases do not require approval of the Director of Academic Computing. However, it is recommended that you discuss these purchases with a Service Desk employee. They may be able to help you select software that will meet your needs and be supported by IT, and you may be able to take advantage of campus licenses or other cost-saving measures which IT oversees.