First Year Seminar Instructor Resources
Recommended Advising Resources
- MyGFU - View your students under the student tab.
- Degree Audit - as a First Year Seminar instructor you can view the audits for your students
- Course Planner - a great resource to place a plan visible to the student and to the new advisor - as a First Year Seminar instructor you can view and edit planners for your students
- Student Support Network - an online reporting form
- Meet with each student to go over their schedule after mid-term grades are posted to advise students in their current degree plan and spring schedule.
- Four Year Course Plans
- UG Catalog
- Major Fair will be offered during Fall Orientation
Recommended Grading Strategies
- Grade the class pass/fail
- Require all assignments
- In the case of missing assignments some professors hold the final grade until the student either meets with him/her or completes the required assignment.
Assignment Pool (let us know if you have any other ideas)
- Require students to interview a faculty member as a requirement to expose them to faculty members.
- Have the ARC evaluate the student's notes from Jim Foster's lecture about the benefits of a Liberal Arts education.
Possible Peer Advisor Roles
- Facilitate some sessions
- Connection to students
- Counseling students in advisor selection