Special Student - Conventional
The special student program is for high school graduates who do not intend to enter a degree/certificate program OR those who plan to enter a degree/certificate program at a later time, but would like to take classes before being formally admitted to a degree/certificate program. Enrollment is at the discretion of George Fox University.
- A $40 registration fee will be added to your account for processing your registration. This fee will be added each semester you attempt to register for classes.
- Tuition is billed at current per credit rates for each program. See the Student Accounts page for the specific per credit rates.
- Additional fees may apply based on program. See the Student Accounts page for more information.
- May Term and summer online sessions for undergraduate courses: Students pay traditional undergraduate tuition, which is 50 percent of the full traditional undergraduate tuition in fall and spring.
- All registered students must complete vehicle registration through MyGFU, even if a vehicle will not be used on campus. For students who will be parking on campus, a $60 parking permit will be issued. Please contact Security Services for more information.
What do I need to know?
- Up to 12 credit hours can be applied toward a degree program
- A special student registration form must be completed each semester you intend to enroll. This form is due in the registrar's office before or during the first week of the add/drop period. List the class you would like to take, including the course section (example: ECON 201 C Principles of Microeconomics)
- Enrollment is allowed on a space-available basis only. Any course pre-requisites must be met in order to be registered for the requested class. Your registration will be processed on the first day of the semester.
- Some courses may require department chair/program director permission to enroll. (NOTE: Studio Art courses are not open for Special Student enrollment)
- Enrollment is at the discretion of the university.
- Undergraduate (100-499 level) and graduate (500-799) courses may be taken for credit or audit. Special student registration is not allowed for zero-level certificate courses.
- Excluded are courses in programs using the cohort model, and a limited number of other courses.
- Courses in the following programs do not allow special student registration: Master of Arts in Teaching (MAT), Full-time Master of Business Administration (MBA), Doctor of Physical Therapy (DPT) and Doctor of Ministry (DMin).
- Regular admission is required to enter a degree/certificate program. Please contact the Office of Admissions for more information. Special student enrollment does not guarantee subsequent admission to any degree/certificate program.
- Employees of the university should refer to the Human Resources webpage for information on tuition remission requirements, deadlines, and applications.
- Search the Class Schedule to find a listing of available courses.
- Browse the Catalog for course descriptions.
- Complete the Online Application or download an application.
- Submit the application to the registrar's office.
- Some courses require permission from the department. The Registrar's Office will contact the department for you once your application has been received.
- On the first day of class, the student should contact the registrar's office to determine if space is available for the course. If the space is available, the student will be admitted to the class and charged tuition, course and lab fees if applicable.