Emergency Notification System
There may be rare occasions during an emergency situation when it is necessary to attempt to contact the entire University community in a timely manner. Emergency notification will be initiated by the office of the vice president of student life in most situations (with the dean of community life as a backup). The primary means of communication for George Fox University consists of the following:
- Telephone System (mass voice mail)
- Campus Email System
- SMS Text Message (to cellular phone numbers provided by students as an emergency contact) using the Connect Ed emergency alert system
In addition to the above strategies, the following communication procedures will be initiated as necessary:
- Notification of and Instructions for Building Monitors
- Notification of and Instructions for Associate Dean, Area Coordinators, and Resident Assistants
- Notification of and Instructions for Administrative Assistants
- Emergency Alert on University Website (in case of a regional emergency that shuts down the George Fox University website, the remote website is http://www.georgefox.info and it will convey critical information to the GFU community).
- Call-in for Recorded Announcements (503-554-EVNT)
Campus Lockdown Procedures
In most cases, the decision to lock down campus should be made by the vice president for student life in consultation with the President and/or the Critical Incident Response Team. In the event that it is necessary to lock down the Newberg campus of George Fox University, the following steps should be taken:
- The Vice President for Student Life should be contacted and he or she will make the decision as to whether an immediate decision needs to be made regarding locking down the campus or whether further consultation with the Critical Incident Response Team is possible given the nature of the incident.
- The Connect-Ed Emergency Notification System is implemented to communicate to University
employees and students to stay where they are and to stay away from campus (if they are not on campus
at the time).
- In certain circumstances, it may be necessary for Security to call Plant Services to alert them to the situation and request assistance in locking down all campus buildings. Building Monitors/Alternates can be contacted to assist as well. Of course, this should only be done in a way that doesn’t put university personnel at risk.
- The appropriate personnel may hit the lockdown switch for the cardlock system. Every residence hall is on 24 hour cardlock access, so this will pertain only to other campus buildings that are cardlocked.
- The Newberg Police Department (supervisor) or appropriate agencies involved will take control of the situation when they arrive on campus.