From the Executive Director
Halftime! For some reason, my mind goes immediately to football as soon as I write those words. (My family members are big Oregon Duck fans, so you might imagine that we’ve watched a LOT of football over the past several months).
Halftime is also where we are in the academic year. Just a few weeks ago your student returned to Fox for the classes, challenges and opportunities that will carry him or her through this semester and into April. And now that we have passed the Jan. 17 Martin Luther King Jr. holiday, we are on the longest “no time off” stretch of the year; your child won’t get to come up for breath until spring break in March!
With this will come some stress and perhaps even a smidgen of the “winter blues.” How can you help provide perspective and encouragement to your student during this time?
- Encourage your son or daughter to serve! There will be many opportunities to do amazing things for others all through the semester. Nothing beats the blues like giving to others.
- Encourage your student to really get to know one of their professors well this semester. When our students take initiative, our faculty members respond!
- Encourage your son or daughter to try something new – play intramurals, go out for the spring play, join a spring serve trip team … the list is almost endless!
- Take advantage of downtown Portland. Give your student tickets to a concert or play. Portland has a rich artistic culture.
- Come and join your student for Bruin Madness, a new event on Saturday, Feb. 5, to celebrate family and basketball!
- Send a care package. Bon Appetit does a great job of putting together packages for Valentine’s Day, birthdays, or any day. Or, send some homemade cookies. I still hear students say that is the best thing they find in their mailboxes!
- Encourage grandparents, uncles and aunts to send cards and letters. Remember how special it is to receive letters?
It’s fun to discover ways to love, encourage and support our students as they live their young adult lives at George Fox University. May the Lord bless your parenting journey!
Executive Director of University Relations