MA, Spiritual Formation, Portland
At a Glance:
Master of Arts in Spiritual Formation
|Average Completion Time||3 years|
|Cost per credit||$472* (financial aid available)|
|Accreditation||Northwest Commission on Colleges and Universities;
Association of Theological Schools
|Location||Portland Center (near Tigard), with online and local format options
|Application Deadlines||Rolling application deadline; apply now for next start date|
*All stated financial information is subject to change.
The Master of Arts in Spiritual Formation is a 42-credit-hour degree designed to equip persons as spiritual directors or as leaders for spiritual formation ministries in the church, community, and world.
Local Learning Community
The Local Learning Community (LLC) is primarily a classroom environment that offers students the freedom to take the number of credits that fit their life circumstances. In addition to the traditional classroom environment, some courses are offered online, and in hybrid formats so students can customize the program to fit their calling.
As a result of completing the MASF degree program, the individual will:
- Describe, critically and constructively, the biblical and theological foundations of the Christian tradition in relation to formation;
- Define, implement, and assess spiritual formation processes in individuals and groups in a variety of social and cultural settings;
- Identify and evaluate his or her spiritual formation journey of conforming to the image of Christ for the sake of others;
- Develop habits of authentic disciplines for living holistically in today’s world;
- Demonstrate the character and skills necessary for spiritually guiding others in the Christian tradition; and
- Practice skills of leading and teaching in the specialized ministry of spiritual formation.
"It is easy to take any academic class trying to understand the minimum requirements to pass, (but) it is hard to leave a spiritual formation class not feeling convicted about some stone that God has turned over in your heart. I found these classes helped me understand the depth to which God desires to take my darkness, my suffering, my failures, my joys, my hopes, and my faith and bring them all to a place of full redemption that somehow becomes a part of the story I'm to share with others."
- Jeff Golden, Sherwood, Oregon