“When I came to George Fox I didn’t intend to study theatre at all. However, the shows were too good, its professors too quality, its community too warm and supportive for me to resist getting involved. Without the mentorship and really superb coaching of the GFU theatre faculty, I don’t think I would have found the courage to embrace theatre as a career path.”
– Megan Weaver (’06)
Executive Artistic Director, FullStop Collective, New York City
“With its highly professional and servant-hearted theatre faculty, George Fox theatre is able and dedicated to preparing students to produce top quality work with integrity. We were always pushing the limits of whatever restraint we had – be it financial, spatial or otherwise – to produce meaningful and unique work. Our development both artistically and spiritually was always the focus of our professors.”
– Stephen Pick (’09)
Artistic Director, Valley Repertory Theatre, Newberg, Ore.
Recent George Fox theatre majors are employed as actors, designers, technicians, theatre management professionals and educators. Our graduates leave George Fox as well-rounded theatre artists ready to make an impact on their communities. Some continue onto professional careers in the entertainment industry, while others use their creative talents to impact businesses, schools and churches. Regardless of where God directs their paths, out theatre majors remain faithful servant storytellers for life.
Internships theatre majors have held
- Core Company Ensemble, Orchard Project, N.Y.
- National Theatre Institute, Waterford, Conn.
- MFA Playwrights Festival, Kennedy Center, Washington, D.C.
- Theatre for Young Audiences, Devos Institute, Kennedy Center
- Colorado Shakespeare Festival, Colo.
- B-Street Theatre, Sacramento, Calif.
- Artists Repertory Theatre, Portland, Ore.
- Miracle Theatre Company, Portland, Ore.
- Idaho Repertory Theatre, Moscow, Idaho
- Village Theatre, Issaquah, Wash.
- Newberg High School, Newberg, Ore.
- Grants Pass High School, Grants Pass, Ore.
- C.S. Lewis Academy, Newberg, Ore.
- Open Jar Musical Institute, New York
- Third Rail Repertory Theatre, Portland, Ore.
- Seven Devils Playwrights Conference, McCall, Idaho
- Northwest Children’s Theatre, Portland, Ore.
- California Musical Theatre, Sacramento, Calif.
- Profile Theatre, Portland, Ore.
Positions theatre majors have held
- Artistic Director of Dramatic Productions, Mystic Seaport
- Resident Sound Designer, Pioneer Theatre
- Equity Stage Manager, B-Street Theatre
- Managing Director, Valley Repertory Theatre
- Executive Artistic Director, FullStop Collective
- Assistant Professor of Theatre, Ball State University
- Drama Teacher, Rex Putnam High School
- Acting Teacher, Northwest Children’s Theatre
- Drama Director, South Meadows Middle School
- Director, Masterworks Theatre
- Artistic Director, Catalyze: A Theatre Collective
- Actor, Oregon Children’s Theatre Touring Ensemble
- Assistant Professor of Theatre, Southwest Baptist University
- Box Office, Portland Center Stage
- Stitcher, Oregon Ballet Theatre
- Drama Teacher, Sprague High School
- Actor, Covenant Players
Graduate schools to which theatre majors have been accepted
- Arizona State University (MFA Directing)
- University of Portland (MFA Scenic Design)
- Cincinnati School of Music (MFA Sound Design)
- Mary Baldwin College (MFA Acting, MA Shakespeare Studies)
- Portland Actors conservatory (Acting)
- California State University, Los Angeles (MA Theatre)
- George Fox University (MA Teaching)
- Seattle Pacific University (MA Teaching)
- Louisiana State University (PhD Theatre)
- Northern Illinois University (MFA Theatre)
- University of North Carolina School of Arts (MFA Scenic Automation)