George Fox Evangelical Seminary
George Fox Evangelical Seminary exists to develop leaders and scholars to have a transformative and prophetic influence for Jesus Christ in the church and the world. We pursue this purpose by integrating spiritual formation, history, theology, and biblical and pastoral studies, in a multicultural and ecologically-sensitive environment.
George Fox Evangelical Seminary is Christ-centered, broadly-evangelical, and committed to equipping women and men holistically for local and global service.
George Fox Evangelical Seminary began in 1947 as the Western School of Evangelical Religion. In 1951, it became Western Evangelical Seminary. The original campus was on the Evangelical Church conference grounds at Jennings Lodge, east of Portland. In 1993, the seminary moved to a new centrally located and more easily accessible campus near Interstate 5 and highways 99W and 217. In 1996, it merged with George Fox College to form George Fox University, and changed its name on January 1, 2000, to George Fox Evangelical Seminary. The seminary is located at the university's Portland Center.
The first students came from the founding denominations: the Evangelical Church and the Northwest Yearly Meeting of Friends. Soon the Free Methodist and Wesleyan churches lent their support. Today, more than 40 denominations are represented in the student body.
When the seminary began, it fulfilled the dream of its first president, Paul Petticord, and other regional Christian leaders, who recognized the need for a Wesleyan seminary in the Pacific Northwest.