Waiver of Required Courses

Some programs at the university do not allow advanced standing credit but do allow students to demonstrate proficiency for coursework and waive the program requirement with an alternative course. A student can waive a required course provided he or she:

  1. has academic credit for a similar course (in exceptional cases noncredit, self-study courses or extensive experience may qualify), and
  2. provides the Registrar’s Office with the proper form signed by an instructor of the course, the department chair or program director, and the Registrar.

Each program has the ability to allow or disallow waived courses. Students should contact their faculty advisor or department chair/program director for more information.