Mobile Phones

All faculty members are required to carry a mobile phone on the trip for emergencies. The university will provide phones, or faculty can use their own phones (assuming that they work internationally). Most carriers have international plans that you can sign up for a month at a time. These are for emergency use, but also come in handy for obtaining directions, checking on accommodations, etc. Faculty can use these to make short calls to home, but the cost is considerably higher (about $0.70 -$4.00/minute) than a phone card. STUDENTS ARE NOT ALLOWED TO USE THESE PHONES except in emergency. 

Each faculty member should have all of the students phone numbers and emails on their phone so that they can text or email the students in case of emergency.

If you are traveling to a developing country it is possible that the university provided phones might not work for making local calls. Thus you may want to purchase a local SIM card (and phone if needed) on arrival for local calls.

International Dialing

To dial internationally you must use the country code followed by the phone number.  The country code for the US is 1.

Dialing Examples:

From UK to the US: +1-503-554-2702 

From China to the US: +1-503-554-2702

From the US to France:  +33-334-221-1234