Are you intrigued by the psychology of the mind? Ever wonder what drives certain behaviors? George Fox University’s bachelor of science degree in cognitive science will give you a broad foundation from which to understand and study mental processes.
The interdisciplinary cognitive science major, taught through our psychology department, offers the flexibility to explore the aspect of the mind that most interests you (e.g., psychological, physiological, philosophical, computational). Take courses in neuroscience, the history and systems of psychology, and artificial intelligence. We also offer classes that equip you for research such as computer science, research methods and statistical procedures.
Request more information about the cognitive science major at George Fox University or schedule a visit to begin your education at Oregon's Christian university, ranked as one of the top Christian colleges in the nation by Forbes.
- Campus Virtual Tour
- Campus Life
- Scholarships & Financial Aid
- Contact Us
- Prospective Students
The cognitive science major is perfect preparation for students who plan to go on to graduate programs in cognitive science, neuroscience, educational technology, artificial intelligence, instructional psychology, cognitive psychology, philosophy or cognitive anthropology. Typical employment for recent graduates might be in a technology-related position demanding excellent technical, writing and speaking skills. According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, career opportunities for graduates of this major are expected to increase between 12 and 18 percent through 2022, depending on the area of focus.
- Global Manager – Human Resources Investigations, Veritas Technology
- Client Tech Analyst, CDK Global
- Director of Training and Education, GPT Dental
- Senior Human Resource Analyst, State of Oregon
- Audiologist, U.S. Department of Veteran Affairs
- Bilingual Client Technical Analyst, ADP
- Pacific University (Audiology)
- Colorado State University (Nutrition)
- Loma Linda University School of Medicine (Medicine)
- University of Washington, Summer Research Program (Genetics)
- University of Oregon, Summer Research Program (Genetics)
- Florida Institute of Technology, AMALTHEA REU (Language Processing)
"The cognitive science program gave me a well-balanced education in the biological and psychological elements of the human mind. I am grateful for my undergraduate education because it provided me with a diverse foundation to understand a variety of elements pertinent to the human experience. This breadth of knowledge has allowed me to pursue my present endeavor, the study of medicine, with great confidence."
- Jennifer Salame ('11)
“The cognitive science program at George Fox is a remarkable interdisciplinary science experience. Computer science, biology and communications (with options to include yet other areas of interest) are tied together cohesively with a core of cognitive psychology courses. I was prepared at graduation to go directly into a role as a marketing research analyst, performing statistical analyses of branding perceptions and awareness in survey and focus groups studies.”
- Benjamin Gowan ('08)
“My cognitive science degree has provided me the tools to evaluate human behavior from multiple angles and perspectives. This has proven to be an invaluable skill in the marketplace. In business it allows me to assess executives/business leaders to determine the best ways to present data and recommendations to gain agreement and compliance quickly. As an investigator, I have relied on my cognitive science background to evaluate human behavior during investigative interviews.”
- Tina Amela (’01)
Points of Distinction
- George Fox is the only CCCU member institution with a cognitive science program and one of only a few such universities in the Northwest.
- Students develop a variety of research and technical skills that are valued by graduate schools and employers.
- Students engage in learning about the brain and how it works from a biblical worldview.
- Students enhance their critical thinking skills by exploring how multiple disciplines address a single issue.
Why George Fox?
Our faith influences everything we do here, from the way our professors teach to the way we relate to one another and serve in the community.
Nearly half of George Fox undergraduate students study abroad. That ranks in the top 60 out of 1,800 American colleges!
Our 14-to-1 student-to-faculty ratio means you'll get to know your professors on a personal level.
George Fox University is a Christian university classified by U.S. News & World Report as a first-tier regional university, and Forbes ranks George Fox among the highest Christian colleges in the country.