George Fox’s international studies major is ideal for those who have a passion to learn about and, potentially, work in other cultures. The international studies program prepares you to work in foreign missions, international commerce, economic development, and government service.
Students enroll in foreign language, political science, economics, anthropology, religion, and communication courses taught in a Christian college setting. The major also includes a strong international fieldwork emphasis.
Envision yourself pursuing a career in international education, trade and finance, missions, or relief and development? This major may be the fit for you. Many students in the program also pursue graduate studies in law, diplomacy, theology, business administration and other fields.
Request more information about the international studies major at George Fox University or schedule a visit to begin your education at Oregon's Christian university, ranked as one of the top Christian colleges in the nation by Forbes.
- Campus Virtual Tour
- Campus Life
- Scholarships & Financial Aid
- Contact Us
- Prospective Students
- Foreign Service Officer, U.S. Department of State
- Missionary, Evangelical Friends Mission
- Arts Specialist, Wycliffe Bible Translators (Maluku, Indonesia)
- English Teacher, Hubei Polytechnic Institute (Xiaogan, China)
- English Teacher, Acadomia (Paris)
- General Manager, North American Soccer at Nike
- Manager of China Office, NEAC, Inc.
- National Case Manager Advocacy Coordinator, TEAR Australia
- Coordinator of Women’s Services, Catholic Charities of Oregon
- Project Coordinator, Jordanian Women’s Union
- Project Coordinator for Global Nutrition Collaborative, Presbytery of Boston
- University Affairs Director, University of Washington
- Research Assistant, International Relations Department, Wycliffe Bible Translators
- Peace Corps volunteer
- Teacher, various public and private schools
- ESL Teacher, Beaverton School District
- Social worker, Heartland Alliance
- Director, Emeritus Instructional Program, Saddleback College
- Peacebuilding Advocacy Coordinator, World Vision
- Middle East Studies Program, International Studies Intern
- Generation Opportunity, Grassroots Intern
- Catholic Charities, Refugee Resettlement Program
- Evangelical Friends Missions, Missions Intern
- Quaker United Nations Office, Program Assistant
- University of Glasgow (U.K.)
- University of Washington
- La Sorbonne (Paris)
- Georgetown University
- University of Hyderabad (India)
- Kingston University (London)
- University of Arizona
- Monash University (Melbourne)
- University of Denver
- Temple University Law School
- Tufts University
- Eastern University
“My experience at Fox helped prepare me for working abroad. I often recall Sarita Gallagher’s Cross-Cultural Christian Outreach and World Religion classes, where we talked about some of the often befuddling culture issues I am experiencing now. Being involved with the international studies program and learning and experiencing culture from international students opened doors to the world. My wonderful friendships with Chinese international students are a primary reason I decided to work in China.”
- Jenna Eliel (’13)
“The international studies program at George Fox University laid the foundation for me to become a foreign service officer with the U.S. Department of State. The small class sizes and one-on-one interaction with professors closely mirrored my master’s program a couple of years later, making it a unique experience for an undergraduate. George Fox courses helped me build cross-cultural awareness skills, which I used when assigned to the White House, and daily in my overseas postings.”
- Jimmi Sommer (’97)
“At George Fox I encountered a stream of the Christian faith very different from what I grew up with. Finding beauty in otherness has been instructive for me as I have spent the majority of my adult life in foreign places. Being able to observe, adapt to and truly appreciate diversity in culture and tradition grounds me today in a humility and a sense of wonder that is essential for cultivating deep and sustainable intercultural relationships.”
- Maggie Holmesheoran (’04)
“The international studies program at George Fox was an excellent preparation for a career with Wycliffe Bible Translators involving language survey, translation, community program planning and ethnomusicology. What I learned at Fox helped me understand new concepts about contextual arts in ministry while earning an MA in world arts, and continues to serve me well as I navigate the difficult terrain of Bible translation program planning and the creation of contextual Scripture songs.”
- Matt Connor (’01)
Points of Distinction
- In addition to the normal courses in international politics, foreign languages, global economics and cultural anthropology, students can take multiple classes reflecting the university’s unique Friends (Quaker) heritage and Christ-centered culture, ranging from global missions to international conflict and peace.
- The university’s tradition of sending graduates to work in international venues – from business and government to missions and peacemaking work – endows us with a wide range of contacts and alumni who can enrich programs on campus and provide connections for students looking for opportunities.
- All international studies majors spend a semester abroad immersed in a foreign culture. Many of these foreign experiences include involvement in Christian ministries, an expansion of our campus-wide emphasis on international educational experiences.
- Faculty from five major disciplines support the international studies major: politics, business and economics, religion, sociology and foreign languages.
Why George Fox?
Our faith influences everything we do here, from the way our professors teach to the way we relate to one another and serve in the community.
Nearly half of George Fox undergraduate students study abroad. That ranks in the top 60 out of 1,800 American colleges!
Our 14-to-1 student-to-faculty ratio means you'll get to know your professors on a personal level.
George Fox University is a Christian university classified by U.S. News & World Report as a first-tier regional university, and Forbes ranks George Fox among the highest Christian colleges in the country.