Help With Your Non-Immigrant Status

International Student Services GroupInternational Student Services is the advisement center for international students.  Contact the director, Alex Pia (, 503-554-2643), or associate director, Tiona Cage (, 503-554-2649), if you have questions about U. S. immigration regulations.

F-1 Student Status

F-1 student status may be granted to an international student who has a valid I-20 form before leaving the home country.  The I-20 form is issued by the designated school official of George Fox University and is sent from the United States.  The I-20 form is validated at the port of entry into the United States.

An international student must obtain a passport, visa, and exit permission from the home country.  A student must have a valid passport at all times while in the United States.

Maintaining F-1 Visa Status

The I-20 Form

Three essential facts are established by the I-20:

  • The F-1 student is prepared academically for the proposed program of study.
  • The F-1 student is proficient in the English language.  If not, the international student will be approved to enroll in the English Language Institute to develop the English skills necessary for success in regular academic classes.
  • The F-1 student is financially able to cover all expenses for the time of attendance at George Fox University.

Updating The I-20 Form

The initial I-20 form and F-1 student status can continue unchanged as long as enrollment is full time and progress is being made toward graduation at George Fox University.

Contact International Student Services with changes to your I-20 form (SEVIS record) within 10 days of the change.  Generally, updating the I-20 form is necessary for the following reasons:Lunar New Year

  • The student has applied for Curricular Practical Training (CPT) or Optional Practical Training (OPT).
  • The student will be leaving the U.S. for more than five months.
  • The financial conditions of the current I-20 have significantly changed, such as the loss or gain of a major financial support category.
  • There is a significant change in the study plan of the F-1 students, such as a change of major or educational level.

Students should apply for a new I-20 no less than one week before departure.  No I-20 forms will be guaranteed if the notification is made less than one week in advance.

Traveling Outside the United States

Employment in the United States

Transfer to Another College or University in the U.S.

Students who wish to transfer should consult with International Student Services to determine procedure.

Students who plan to transfer must also follow the appropriate steps to officailly withdraw from George Fox University.