Go ED. Africa ProgramProgram Overview
Go ED. is a program designed to transform the next generation to own and end poverty by engaging their heads, hands, and hearts in learning about community development first-hand. Go ED. Africa offers students a unique blend of academic work and hands-on experience studying the root causes of conflict and the efforts for peacebuilding in the region. Based in Kigali, Rwanda, students will also have opportunities to engage in practicum field experience in Rwanda and Uganda as well. Study in this region helps students gain perspective about the complexities of development issues, regional and international responses, and efforts towards building lasting peace. Opportunities to interact with local residents, including victims of the genocide, enhance understanding of the impact of conflict and the challenges of reconciliation.
- Issues in Peacebuilding: genocide and reconciliation
- African Traditional Religion & Culture
- Post Colonial African Literature
- Social Context for Development
- Cross-cultural Field Practicum
- Four-week-long, hands-on field practicum with development organizations in Rwanda or Uganda
- Guided spiritual formation sessions exploring “Owning Poverty
- Engagement in the cultures of East Africa
- Hiking around Kigali
- African Safar
Practicum placements are with various local and international NGOs who share the vision of Community Transformation. Positions within this area of focus include (but are not limited to):
- Community Transformation Assistant
- Water Management Assistant
- Education/Teaching Assistant
- Community Education and Training Assistant
- Creative Communication (Design/Writing) Assistant
- Public Health/Clinic Assistant
The student will fill out two applications:
• George Fox off-campus application
• Go ED. Rwanda application
*The Go ED. application should only be completed after being informed from the Director of Study Abroad that you are accepted for an off-campus study semester.
Students must be full-time undergraduates with junior or senior status, holding a cumulative GPA of 3.0 or higher to apply. There is NO language requirement.
Because students remain enrolled at George Fox while participating in the program, 16 hours of academic credit is awarded by George Fox University. Students will be required to attend two pre-departure meetings, complete an online course evaluation, and attend a re-entry meeting upon their return. Students must see the transfer credit specialist in the Registrars office BEFORE they begin their semester off-campus.
The program will provide lodging and food at the Go ED. house in Kigali, Rwanda where the whole group lives together in community, as well as at all practicum locations where students stay in groups of two and three.
The student pays George Fox's standard tuition, room and board, and student fees (an additional fee is required to attend some programs). Participants continue to receive financial aid, including scholarships, since they are officially George Fox students. Round trip airfare is additional.